Very nice car and a bargain at that price, although a wooden dashboard is "wrong" for an early TR4 - but that was a previous owner's preference, I imagine.

In the photos, I didn't spot a metal top, just the soft cover and fold-out frame in the boot.

Ian Cornish

• 2 weeks later...

So what made the confirmed deal with deposit paid fall through ? Are we allowed to ask ?

Mick Richards

There is a new line in the advert which I suspect is the cause;

“It has been established that prior to this rebuild the car was subject of an insurance payout, and subsequently the car was restored. Photographs show the car having a new rear valance, rear offside wing and rear deck, along with email correspondence from the then owner, detailing this restoration.”

But given how long ago this was it is hard to understand why the buyer pulled out.. only thing that I can think is that they are looking for a clean history.

There is a new line in the advert which I suspect is the cause;

“It has been established that prior to this rebuild the car was subject of an insurance payout, and subsequently the car was restored. Photographs show the car having a new rear valance, rear offside wing and rear deck, along with email correspondence from the then owner, detailing this restoration.”

Could be that the "insurance payout2 is a euphemism

for a 'write-off' by the insurance company.

That could explain a buyer backing out.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

The buyer did an HPI check on the car and discovered details of the insurance payout. Alastair, the seller did not know about this.

However, on looking back through the pre-purchase restoration photos and other info, it’s clear that there were some new panels fitted to the rear of the car. However, it is also clear that there was no structural damage sustained and this is supported by the HPI check.

In many ways, this is all a bit of a shame as the car is still a very good car and has had a lot less work done to it at that point than many other cars where they have rotted away!

I’m sure that the car will sell as the price is still very good for a car in this condition.

If anyone wants to know more, please either contact me via PM (I can provide Alastair’s contact details) or contact Alastair via his eBay listing.

David

David,

I can fully appreciate how a car deemed a write-off back in

2001 by an insurance company may well be a far better bet

than a rusty barn find.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Alan,

Without wanting to drag my own topic off-topic, this is a really good discussion point to consider when selecting an insurance company for one’s pride and joy.

Without an agreed value and rights to the car, I’d suspect that an insurance company may be way too quick to write off a car as uneconomic to repair, even for relatively minor damage, particularly as they are only ever likely to be paid a small premium for the insurance policy.

Of course, they will provide third party cover and will have to pay out if the car is stolen, or substantially damaged so that it really is beyond economic repair.

There’s been loads of topics and posts about a variety of different insurance companies and brokers.

Just a thought!

David

• 2 weeks later...