Tr4a solid axle rear bump stops

Hi everyone

Was wondering if anyone out there with 4a solid axle could advise me on something.i dont seem to have any bump stops on my 4a chassis the ones i presume screw in directly underneath shocker lever arm.i have the ones on the body fitted at the back but not on chassis.where is exact position these need to be fitted?there are no captives on the chassis as looks like its been plated over at some stage.i think due to these being missing its caused splits in the areas around where shocks mount.

Kind regards

Nige

Hi ya bob hope your well.looking at moss book it looks like there is bump stop under lever arm damper which it says is for chassis.mine has never had these so just not sure of correct position of them.

Nige

Stuart, does the additional Spring leaf clamps stiffen up the rate at all ?

Mick Richards

Stuart, does the additional Spring leaf clamps stiffen up the rate at all ?

Mick Richards

Oh yes, well spotted! I started with four of them per side as there is only one flavour of spring for those cars but eventually settled on the current two per spring which works really well.Picture below of intermediate setup with 3 clamps 9" and wires, now gone to 2 per side with 10" Alfins and Minilites.

Stuart.

post-3753-0-53074400-1528210634_thumb.jpg

Edited by stuart

I think they provide greater resistance to sliding on one another.

I think they provide greater resistance to sliding on one another.

+1 but they also reduce the length of the individual "beams" in the spring configuration hence increasing the mechanical advantage to bending. ie the unfettered Spring length is between the axle beam and the Spring attachment to the chassis at either end, clamping the leaves together in one or two places as Stuart has halves or Quarters the "lever length" of the Spring leaves and reduces it's bending power, it can't bend as much.

Mick Richards

So an easy and reversible modification for those odd days of competition to stiffen up the rear.

Hhhmmmmm interesting .........

So an easy and reversible modification for those odd days of competition to stiffen up the rear.

Hhhmmmmm interesting .........

Just make sure you place them correctly as it is possible for them to foul the inner tyre edge and use high tensile bolts, It takes a bit of trial and error to get it how you want but thats the same with any "Tuning"

Stuart.

Hi stuart

Ive had car jacked up today and there doesnt appear to be any mounting points on chassis for the bump stops to attach to.ive tried to upload pictures but keeps saying size to big so gave up with it.is there anyway you could find me dimensions of these brackets as looks like im going to have to make these up.its no wonder its been banging about over bumps.

Cheers

Nige

Or the TR shop may have some 2nd hand ones

Bob.

Unlikely as they are part of the chassis and welded on. Lukas usually like to sell you a complete chassis.

Stuart.