Wing mirrors fitting

Hi again

Is there a proper place to fit wing mirrors?

I've got the normal flat round type but a bit concerned about drilling in the wrong place

Thanks

Tony

I rather regret fitting mirrors to the front wings of my 3A, albeit some 40 years ago. I hardly use them!

We already have a rear mirror and more recent regulations (at least here in France - maybe, date I say it, in Europe) require that we have another which is adjustable from the driving seat. - Installation fully discussed here in the past.

See if you can manage without them. Your precious wings will appreciate you haven't butchered them!

Car looks more the part, as a bonus.

James

Edited by james christie

As the sidescreens never get put on my car, the stanchion plate on the driver's side is a convenient mounting point for a clamp-on mirror, with the mount twisted to align the mirror. There are others on here, like Lebro, who have modified this kind of mirror further to work with sidescreens.

i-6z8LBFg-X3.jpg

Edited by Don H.

Hi Tony

My driver´s side bullet shaped mirror is attached to the inside front dzus bolt for the sidescreens, and like Don I take it off one,two.three. with the dzus key when I need to fit the tonneau cover or the sidescreen. It also comes off just as quick against light fingered people when I park out of sight.

Dave

+1 for the Harley type fitted to stanchion fitting bolt. Wing mounted ones useless IMHO.

If you have the dzus type stanchions, consider fitting the mirror to the stanchion using one of the screws that hold the screen in, (care over length of screw used needed to avoid screen breakage)

John

Thanks for the suggestions

Do we have a model number or eBay link to the correct type of Harley mirror in chrome

Looks a good solution

An expedition to a Harley store just to look in the catalogue will be rewarding. Make sure the mirror is convex and on a decently long arm.

A bit of imagination is required for the fitting. I've welded the arm on to a dzus fastener, mainted the weld the colour of the car and it fixes into the screen stanchion. It's a little more mobile in the rotation sense than I would like it to be, but satisfactory.

James

Well as you can see I have wing mounted mirrors which I find v. useful. The N/S one is in line of sight just above the rearview mirror, for the avoidance of undertakers. Just a flick of the eyes. They were on the project car I bought which had been off the road since 1972. an't say if they came with it when first registered. If you decide that is what you want I would be happy to provide photos/dims of the mounting. There is a curve on the wing and when I re-fitted them I put plastic padding under a penny washer under the wing to take the shape and tightened the mirror up when it had hardened off.

Alan

post-12155-0-74154300-1528129547_thumb.jpgpost-12155-0-91429100-1528129559_thumb.jpgpost-12155-0-28125800-1528129584_thumb.jpg

some pics

I went along to the Harley shop and looked through the different types that they stocked and picked up these

1528129759183.jpg

What part number are those ?

And, like most things on this forum, we've covered this topic extensively in previous threads. Search is one's friend here.

Here's an example of a good one on the subject of sidescreen wing and stanchion mirrors:

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/56246-tr3-wingwindscreen-stanchion-mirrors/

Hamish

I have found the invoice and the reference numbers are right 91904-88A left 91902-88A, I should add the Harley left mirror fits to the right hand side of the TR and Harleys right to the left of the TR

George

Thanks George

Its a good option without drilling.

H

And, like most things on this forum, we've covered this topic extensively in previous threads. Search is one's friend here.

Here's an example of a good one on the subject of sidescreen wing and stanchion mirrors:

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/56246-tr3-wingwindscreen-stanchion-mirrors/

Search is a good thing. So is reading and answering the question, i.e. Is there a proper place to fit wing mirrors?

Works for me but then my 3 is not exactly concours

George

No nor is mine !!????????

Search is a good thing. So is reading and answering the question, i.e. Is there a proper place to fit wing mirrors?

That earlier thread is on topic and relevant to your question. You're seeing there are many who consider the proper place for wing mirrors to be someplace else, which apparently is not what you wanted to hear.

The typical Lucas stalk-mounted mirror was (at least in the US) a dealer-mounted accessory. As such, there's probably some variation in exactly where it's mounted, as there are no specific S-T instructions AFAIK. Here's how they were placed on one original unrestored car (TCF56L). The mirrors are generally above the centerline of the front axle.

i-RBNDdjV-X3.jpg

i-ZJ9rk9Z-X3.jpg

post-13484-0-49921100-1497278251_thumb.jpg

I went for this option which i purchased from a classic motorbike parts website - It's a bike mirror of the type that would usually fit on the end of the handlebar. A bit of modification to the fitting was required.

Just a thought for what it's worth,

I had a convex mirror stuck to the top of the windscreen inside the car. It gave near 180 degree vision and was adjustable to favour left or right so works just the same sur le Continong and saves fitting any kind of ugly contraption to the outside

I'll fit one (available from Halfords and others) to my current TR3A project when the time comes.

Keep TRucking

Willie