I have managed to acquire a pair of NOS original Lucas SLR700S Long Range Driving Lights with 48 watt Lucas No 185 Bulbs.

I would be grateful for any advise as to the best way to modify the quality/power of my lights. Where can alternatives be obtained?

i have a copy of the original Fitting and Maintenance Instructions, however they are probably out date with regard to mounting height and switching.

Thank you

Alan

Hi Alan ~

Regarding the mounting of Spot/Driving lamps. The centre of the bulb must be 24" from the road surface inorder to comply with the Law.

Spot/Driving lamps should automatically be extinguished when the headlamps are dipped.

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

You can also buy halogen bulbs for them.

Either these at Holden: https://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?sg=1&pgCode=012&sgName=Electrical&pgName=Bulbs+%26+Warning+Lamps&agCode=0080&agName=Bulbs+BPF&pCode=LLB185

Or an H1 conversion like this: http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/spotlight-bulb-upgrade-kit/

Although the latter are a very tight fit in the Lucas lamps.

No matter how you do it, I'd recommend using a relay and ensuring that the earth is very good to get the best out of them.

TWO big honkin' driving (pencil beam) auxiliary lamps? Seems that it might be hard to find places to take advantage of that light. Have you considered at least one flat throw (fog) lamp? i believe Iain runs a SLR700 lamp (along with a fog lamp) on the front of VHP 529. He'll probably have some specific advice.

Tim's comments about relays and good grounds are right on. There are a number of folks on here who have found creative and inconspicuous places to mount the relays.

You can also buy halogen bulbs for them.

Either these at Holden: https://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?sg=1&pgCode=012&sgName=Electrical&pgName=Bulbs+%26+Warning+Lamps&agCode=0080&agName=Bulbs+BPF&pCode=LLB185

Or an H1 conversion like this: http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/spotlight-bulb-upgrade-kit/

Although the latter are a very tight fit in the Lucas lamps.

No matter how you do it, I'd recommend using a relay and ensuring that the earth is very good to get the best out of them.

Hi Tim

Thank you for the heads up on the new Halogen (non H1) bulbs, just ordered two :ph34r:

Already running through a relay so should be OK

Looking forward to seeing an improvement.........will advise the forum as soon as its dark :huh:

Edited by North London Mike

This is interesting because I have a similar set up. When it stopped working recently I found that the relay was hot and the connections to it were not making a good contact.

Please advise on the correct rating for a relay and if possible a link to one which works well. I very seldom use the lights but I would prefer to have everything working and no overheating !

Thanks

Richard

Assuming a couple of 48W bulbs, I suppose we are looking at around 8A.

To make sure I'm nowhere near capacity, I always tend to use 30A (12V) relays and I use Durite (little black cubes) - not for any particular reason other than that's what came with my first headlamp relay kit - I'm sure any make would work fine.

Others may have different recommendations...