Adding a clock

I've replaced the dashboard lights (AKA dims) with LEDs so I can now see what they read at night. This has made the rheostat redundant so I'm considering replacing it with a 2" Smiths clock.

It doesn't look too complicated a job - except for drilling the hole in the dashboard. This is fraught with danger as I can see it going horribly wrong and I end up with firewood instead of a dashboard.

Has anyone done this before? If so can you offer any tips.

I've been thinking of doing something similar myself. I've got the choice between an oil temp gauge (from an early Range Rover) a clock (early Stag) & an early Dolomite Voltmeter, all of which are 2" diameter & match the existing gauges in my CP TR6 quite nicely. If I do go ahead, I was going to get the hole cut by a cabinet maker, for the reasons you've stated, and also the gauge holes in the TR6 are 'stepped' (if that's the right word for it?);I'm certainly not skilled enough to manage this & I'd want the hole to match the existing ones.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Paul.

i can help with this one

new clock of ebay, smiths clocks are to big

find a matching bezel grind cut and glue

dashboard needs to be drilled and counter- bored

detailing shop

pink

post-3990-0-34297700-1528051609_thumb.jpgpost-3990-0-63446200-1528051644_thumb.jpg

Edited by pinky

I have done this a few times.Remove dash of course.Screw a flat bar on the back off the dash over the rheostat hole. Centre punch the flat bar.Now get the right size hole saw (for the bezel) and drill part way in to the gauge depth.Change hole saw to the diameter of the body of the gauge (which is smaller in diameter) and drill right through. Carefully clean off and there you go.It does help that I was a timed served carpenter and also have a drill press to keep everything steady.Try it on some waist wood first to get some confidence. The Smiths ones are the right size and the same as the gauges.

I would post pictures on here but can not and gave up yonks ago.

Regards Harry

Edited by harrytr5

It does help that I was a timed served carpenter and also have a drill press to keep everything steady.

Ah. And that's where is all falls to bits. I don't have a drill press and my woodworking skills are limited to putting up sloping shelves

Leave as it and fit a radio with a clock.

I agree this is an option but I don't want a radio (I've got a storage cubby in the hole).

• 1 year later...

I think the extra instrument, especially a clock, looks really good.

I can get dashes to this spec for no extra cost  - here are a couple of photos ( apologies for the quality but I'm no David Bailey! ) of one I have just supplied for a fellow TRer - this was also in a non standard light oak veneer which looks really nice, and even better in the flesh.

Cheers Rich

86356459_473641126874123_2397992649240870912_n (1).jpg

86185515_487879518834093_8568521603049062400_n (1).jpg