huge fuel leak , frightning, tr6 on webbers,

hi my motoring friends ,

yesterday evening we decided to go for a fish and chip drive, down in to gurnard,

(just setting the scene) lots of people, there was a swimming race on, we had the food and started

to carry on driving, slow, as there were pedestrians, tors said 'I can smell petrol'with that the car stopped, I jumped out opened the bonnet and it was like a water hose was being sprayed on to the car,

I lent over and hit the white button by the windscreen motor, this stopped the flow of petrol,

I looked round and there ware puddles of fuel all up the prom , so I made sure no one was smoking that were walking.

the problem, the fuel filter, a glass one had come detached from inside comeing apart, why I don't no, any way,

re-jigged the pipes, re-connected them, and started the car, the fuel was in the air filters and

on the exhaust lagging, so I was concerned that it would catch fire, I put both fans on smoke every were as the evaporation was increased with the engine warming, i left the hood up (on the first catch) and drove home successfully, two showers were required and I can still smell the fuel on me now

lesson's learned, the glass filter is crap, what to buy now,? is there a valve that shuts of the fuel if the flow is increased to full force, safety

any advice, suggestions, criticisms, slaggings, gratefully received.

regards pink x

Hmmmm Doesnt stuff like that happen all the time. I have another thread running regards poor parts, you could also speak to Roger regards reporting stuff thats dangerous.

I have a Tr5 and 6 and fuel is part of life there....

Now

This brings me to something very important about this.

I have a car with a FIA spray system Its a Turbo powered car and once during an event after rounding a bend very fast I heard a dull thud and saw flames out the back (rear engined car). seems an overflow pipe from the FIA fuel tank had been allowed to not overflow fully away from car and fuel from a fuel stop 10m before where I had brimmed her, ended up under the turbo! Boom!

Lucky I cottoned on. Pulled the release to spray the engine Open bonnet still saw some flames , in desperation emptied my drinking water bottle and still small amount of flames.. Looked like the end for me, but luckily the guy running behind me had an extinguisher and stopped to give it me.

Moral of the story. Carry an extinguisher 'and not one just for putting out your Marlboro!'. I had the recommended FIA stuff and it wasnt enough even for an initially small fire.

If you can Illegal as they are find a halon extinguisher as the approved foam ones are hopeless.

Also carry a seat belt cutter and a screen hammer too if its a hard top or has a roll bar.

It really can be a matter of seconds.

Do a PQI as dangerous parts must be stopped!

T

Edited by Rem18

Do you have a fire extinguisher in the car Pink.

Always worth a purchase for these type of scenarios. ( you never know ).

Glad you got it home OK.

Steve

Looks like R.E.M. 18 and I posted at the same time.

Edited by whatmore179

Yes and not a piddly one! ;)

Do you have a fire extinguisher in the car Pink.
Always worth a purchase for these type of scenarios. ( you never know ).
Glad you got it home OK.
Steve

Looks like R.E.M. 18 and I posted at the same time.

Yes I have a fire exstinguisher behind the seat,

I was advised to buy a haleon they were going cheap it is screwed to the. wall in the garage hope

it stays there presure has dropped a bit

hi niall not much of it left it fell on the floor what I got I will take a pic of

pink

I suspect it was one like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10mm-3-8-Universal-Washable-Fuel-Filter-Motorcycle-Inline-Petrol-Diesel-Filter/253564194488?hash=item3b099a8eb8:g:mLsAAOSwiHpZ~Zri

They are supposedly washable so they can be unscrewed which is possibly what happened.

Stuart.

You got it stuart 10 out of ten and star

can't think how it came unscrewed as it hasn't been touched for a couple of years

is the something better to buy ?

pink

I have witnessed one of those leaking on a TR3 with the mechanical pump (low pressure) so I can only imagine the results if a PI car had one leak.

The TR3 one was "fixed" by simply tightening up the ends.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

You got it stuart 10 out of ten and star

can't think how it came unscrewed as it hasn't been touched for a couple of years

is the something better to buy ?

pink

These are better and they come with proper clips to hold them down. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EPMAN-UNIVERSAL-10mm-FUEL-INJECTION-PUMP-FILTER-EXTERNAL-10-MICRON-IN-LINE/142552617856?epid=20007979297&hash=item2130cc5380:g:PPgAAOSw8UZZ8ke9

Stuart.

If it installed on the pressure (discharge) side of the pump, was it designed (rated) for that pressure?

Also, the glass tube is contained in rubber seals (I guess), when these become hard from age, temperature, ethanol, that exerts high force on the brittle glass.

Regards,

Waldi

Hmm that's scary Pinky

I have one of those fitted (by PO). But following this thread not for long!

P.S. I do have a fire extinguisher fitted!

I put the post up to help ,others, I will take stuarts advise as always, and get one that he recommendend's

I believe they sell them cheaper on amazon,

when looking at the fitting it is plastic bar threaded with groves cut in it probably ok fir a lawn mower or mg

but no good for a hairy chest monster of a man like me, I wish

pink x

Those glass ones are rubbish, after a while unleaded fuel closes up the mesh of the filter element and the car grinds to a halt. Don't ask me how I found out, I'm too embarrassed to go into detail but it did involve a recovery and a couple of weeks before I found out what the problem was.

Chris

Sorry to hear about your experience pinky. You see those glass ones all over eBay and at shows - never liked the look of them!

When I fitted a filter a few years ago I decided on one of these. They are quite nicely made, no complaints so far:

http://r.ebay.com/uxFC5V

Steve

Edited by Steve Priest

It would actually tek some igniting, if there was air flowing,

petrol is v v hard t,set alight, but its fumes arnt !!

we once had a blow lamp on petrol, in a strong wind,

to burn of paint on a rad, it would,nt catch fire,wind was tek,n the fumes away too fast.

I cant understan why folk fit such small filters.

ye want the biggest filter that can be got fitted

PI or carbs, ,esp for PI

and fitted so that fuel come oot the bottom,with inlet at top

the bigger the filter, the moer cooling it gives if fitted in air flow,

vertically mounted,it stops air entering the system

so get a biggg metal canister filter,

an pent it black for better cooling too.

M

It would actually tek some igniting, if there was air flowing,

petrol is v v hard t,set alight, but its fumes arnt !!

we once had a blow lamp on petrol, in a strong wind,

to burn of paint on a rad, it would,nt catch fire,wind was tek,n the fumes away too fast.

Although I understand what your saying. I wish you luck hahahaha. My car going fast, but then again it had a hot Turbo....

I cant understan why folk fit such small filters.

ye want the biggest filter that can be got fitted

PI or carbs, ,esp for PI

and fitted so that fuel come oot the bottom,with inlet at top

the bigger the filter, the moer cooling it gives if fitted in air flow,

vertically mounted,it stops air entering the system

so get a biggg metal canister filter,

an pent it black for better cooling too.

M

I think you had a very lucky escape Pink. Even the act of switching off the pump could have caused a spark in the switch which could have set the whole lot up in flames.

Think I'll stick to my '3 with carbs !

Bob.

These are good, with a lip on each tube so the pipes won't slip off, cost about £8.

have to find a better way of holding it though. Double pic oops.

post-4234-0-79938700-1528035945_thumb.jpg

post-4234-0-70909500-1528035979_thumb.jpg

Edited by pfenlon

Plenty of safety shut-off valves from industry, that will work on petrol (https://www.mgacontrols.com/solenoid-valves-for-fuel-gas-and-oil-shut-off/ others are available) but one that does it's stuff when the flow increases, as when a glass filter housing breaks? I think industry would say, don't use a glass housing! Could be done, but it would need a flow sensor on the line, and some electronics that defines "Excess flow".

I had one of those filters, Pink. It was in the boot, between tank and pump, and one day I had opened the boot, and was looking for something when there was a quiet 'chink' noise and the fliter split right along its length. I swear I wasn't touching it! But there are many, many fuel filters to buy, with a metal casing! Halfords just one supplier: http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-parts/filtration/fuel-filters/halfords-fuel-filter-hff230?_br_psugg_q=fuel+filter

John

PS Halon extinguishers are part of what nearly killed the ozone layer! Please have your's 'responsibly' disposed of! And get an AFFF one. J.