OultpnPatk Saturday 2nd June

God turn out of Triumphs for tomortorws Swinging 60s race. 6TRs plus my Vitesse, plus at least 2 Spitfire's and a GT6 if the reserves get a race.

Enjoying the Team Wolfitt barbeque.

Johnpost-535-0-51175000-1527886781_thumb.jpg

Edited by john.r.davies

Have a great time John.

I love oulton and not just because its local.

H

I would. But off to parents other end of the country.

Enjoy. It should be a dry weekend.

H

Perhaps I should edit my post above ?!

Sunny Devon here I come

H

Had planned on taking the TR4, but gremlins decided to disable the water pump.couldnt get it fixed in time.

The Oulton Spectators are a friendly bunch! I had a lot of them to talk to between quali and race, and I think the TRs did too. Racing Triumphs do seem to strike a chord in their hearts. It would be good if the TRR were to capitalise on this, and have some sort of presence at race meetings with a significant Triumph content, to raise awareness of the marque, as suggested in another recent thread. The CSCC Swinging 60's series could be a start, if that Club did not object to, say, a TRR banner in the paddock where we usually park together.

The race brought Groups 1 & 2, normally below and above 2Litres and in different races, together, which was great for me, as with 1998cc, I should be in Gp1, but the regs put any six-cylinder in Gp2, where I am Tail-End Charlie by several laps. So I had a great race, contesting with more equally powered cars - until the last few minutes! The morning drizzle had stopped, the track had dried, it was all-out racing, and I went to pass another car on Island Bend, the fastest on the circuit that is usually taken with a lift, or a brief brake. Taking the outside line, I was too fast, went off on the outside, onto the grass. A race driver, on grass, is a passenger. No brakes, no steering. I was heading at full speed for the barrier inside the Hairpin that follows Island. It was only the gravel trap that stopped me, less than ten feet from disaster. My race was over.

But not my car! Dug into gravel, I expected to need an Iron Fairy, one of the tractors that wave their magic wands and lift you out, but a team of marshals PUSHED me out! Good job, guys! Thank you! The car restarted and I drove back to the paddock at non-race speed, to live another day, and shortly to race at Spa! WooHoo!

John

Well done John. Glad you had fun.

Lucky escape. That is a fast corner.

Edited by Hamish

Hi folks. It was a good day and some good racing. Went to say hello to John.

If you want to see some photos, I've put a link in the Members area.

Should have my TR back tomorrow - yeeeha

I have to admit, i was not my first off of the race! And David Stallard, the Official CSCC Photographer was there to record it!

This was at Old Hall, into Deer Leap, the sharp right hander, followed by a steep dip. Once again, I went off on the outside, onto the grass, but managed to keep it fairly straigh and back onto the kerbing, but got unequal grip there and span ACROSS the track to the grass on the other side! Lucky for me I wasn't in a pack of cars and could complete my evolutions without impact. Mayabe surviving that made me feel invincible? It wasn't long after that I came within ten feet of disater!

See the pics at DavidStallard's site: https://www.davidstallardphotography.com/ClassicSportsCarClubCSCC/CSCC-2018/CSCC-Oulton-Park-02-June-18/i-H8cbW8N

Start at pic 1109 and follow the next six!

John

(I know, it's not clever and its not funny to come off the black stuff, but if you don't sometimes, you're not trying hard enough!)

PS Thanks to Mal! Shows it's a good race when you congratulate each other afterwards!

Edited by john.r.davies

post-535-0-23224200-1528043975_thumb.jpg

After my off, someone asked me if I had gravel drive at home?

No!?

Then you will! You'll be dropping the stuff for months!

And they're right. This what i washed out with the power hose, before I even took it off the trailer. Working on repairs,I have to stop an sweep up every so often. Ever knelt on piece of gravel? The paaaaain!

John

Edited by john.r.davies