Further to my post "irritating noise"

Took the TR to my local club meet last evening, despite dire warnings of the thunderstorms from hell.

What smashing helpful people, within five minutes my irritating problem resolved...........probably. Thanks to all at the Alma.

Turns out that it's probably a rocker arm wandering about on the shaft, you can wiggle it about, not good, fortunately it's only one and even more fortunately it's number one rocker. Unfortunately the part I think I need to replace a double coil washer part number 44630 is NLA.

It would seem I can use and alternative part (from the pedal box assembly) so that's all good. my question is will the rolling rocker have worn the shaft requiring a replacement shaft? is there any thing else I should take into account / order. eg I have to bash out the mills pin, can I reuse it or should I replace it?

Thanks again to all the helpful East Saxons and the forum,

David

Because you can remove the rocker shaft complete you can orient the rocker shaft to get access at the small dia of the mills pin and drive it out. As long as it doesn't have any marks around the dia in between the two outside diameters (small and large) then I'd be happy to reuse. Check the rocker shaft for excessive grooving under the rocker arm positions, if in doubt replace with a new shaft.

As for the rockers spacing before you remove the rocker shaft measure the distances between the sides of the rockers from end to end ( vernier preferred) make a note of them and make pieces of tubes to these dimensions long, in solid tube just large enough dia to fit over the rocker shaft dia closely but not tight. They will permanently position the rockers in the correct position, use thin shim washers ( 5-10 thou) of the correct dia to the rocker shaft at either end (allow for this in your tube dimensions) where it abuts the rocker arms to allow for movement and make sure there is no " binding" between the arms and tubes- done.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Crikey Mikey, that sounds like proper engineering to me and as such beyond my limited capabilities. I expect I could get a local engineering firm to do this but I suspect it would cost rather more than just putting my hand in my pocket and buying a rebuilt shaft.

looks like my optimism was as usual a little misplaced, the alternative double coil spring washer is also no longer available, which is a bit of a bu**er, and something of a puzzle as I can buy a refurbished rocker shaft complete so someone can get hold of them.

I have searched the interweb and it seems like I'm not the only one having problems finding them, so before I splash out on a recon. shaft.

any Ideas.

David

David,

I think those washers are called “THACKERAY washers.” (Nothing to do with the Leicestershire folk singer Jake Thackeray)

I also think that they are a common engineering item, but cannot be certain.

Try a Google search and see what you can find.

Charlie.

Hello Charlie

Yes your right they are also called Thackery washers, but 5/8 light weight seem to be impossible to find, looks like bite the bullet time.......again.

Though just to be sure this is the problem I plan to slip a very thin washer / shim on to the shaft just to see if it does make a difference.

There seems to be "end float" at both ends of the rocker shaft, the back end seems to have about 25 th and the front end about 30 th

Kind regards David

David,

I think those washers are called THACKERAY washers. (Nothing to do with the Leicestershire folk singer Jake Thackeray

Charlie.

Confusing but is that the same singer as he Jake Thackray.

Born

27 February 1938

Kirkstall, Leeds, West Riding of Yorkshire, England

Mick Richards

Hello Mickey,

Yes, that’s the bloke.

I got his name slightly wrong, but I’m sure he once lived in Leicestershire.

Or was that Englebert Humperdink? (Or Engle Bert Hampering, as my spell checker is telling me to put.)

But to get back on topic, before the “Off topic police” delete my post…

I have always wondered where the name “Thackeray washers” came from.

I’m fairly certain that “Spring washers” were not invented by a “Mr. Spring.”

And “Crinkle washers” were not invented by a “Mr. Crinkle”

But I’m totallycertain that “Thackeray washers “ must have been invented by a “Mr. Thackeray”. I’ve done a thorough Internet search (I’m sure you would approve of that, Mickey), but not found the reference to the man.

Mr Thackeray must have invented other things, apart from his famous washers, but what were they?

And why did he need to invent a double spring washer? What was his initial use for them?

If anyone knows, please enlighten us all.

(Or am I the only person who cares about such trivia?)

Charlie.

David,

Why not contact these people who make the Thackery or double coil washers and see if they have a stockist.

http://www.springlockwashers.com/washers-for-industrial-use/double-coil-washers/

http://www.springlockwashers.com/contact-us/

Alan

Pete,

Thank you .

I think it means that Lotus owners are either very imaginative, or very gullible.

(But it does show that I’m not alone in my quest for the answer.)

Charlie