Hi Folks,

I had a request for help to sort out a buzzer/LED flasher for an Indicator.

It sounded like the one that Johnny250 was making a couple of years back.

Had a quick google and there was a Utube clip of John Creating his magic.

https://youtu.be/AjdPDJOSAOw

He gives a full list of parts etc

So I knocked up one.

It works an absolute treat.

You can actually see the green flasher flashing. And the buzzer is loud enough without being intrusive.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

PLUS 1.

Mine works when it feels like it. Starts off fine flashing away and bleeping away then the led goes out but car flasher lights and bleeper work ok but no dash repeater light.

Not sure what goes on here as I cancel indicator and re do it and it works again for a short time. No danger as the indicators work so other road users still see flashers working. Removing is a real phaff as anyone who has fitted the centre panel on a 3a will attest the butterfly nuts have a mind of their own.

When ever I read about audible indicator devices it takes me back to when I was a GPO apprentice in 1966. Working in the basement of the Coventry telephone exchange there was a bloke called Ron who had a sideline making such devices from telephone earpieces and transistors. They were classed as rather exotic in those days.

Ron owned the first Peerless I’d ever seen. I think he offered to sell it to me for a £100…. I bet it’s still out there somewhere (Worth a bit more than £100 now though, I expect.)

Charlie.

I thought about this a few years ago, not being able to see the indicator light on the dashboard with the refection of the sun, so I managed to pick up an audible indicator unit from a motor cycle shop that replaces the indicator unit in the passenger footwell.

It is a straight swap, just audible, it was little too loud at first so I put some insulation tape around it to deaden the sound a bit. It was less than £20 as I remember. Works well and done in a couple of minutes

Cheers Gordon

Roger and all

I got mine from Lebro Bob for about GBP 4.00 and it fits across the indicator light on the central dash panel. The volume is O.K even at 70MPH, and it sounds like a lorry reversing, so is a little annoying, but it does make you remember to turn it off to get the peace again.

Dave

I’ve got a similar device tucked under the dash. It starts to beep after IIRC ten flashes (although this is adjustable). The beeper stops if you apply the brakes, and starts again instantly the brake is released. It slowly gets louder and louder until the indicators self cancelled or are cancelled.

Why on earth did Mr Standard tuck the flasher relay down in the passenger footwell?.

• 2 weeks later...

Have used a combined flasher and buzzer from eBay. Works well and is led compatible. Only thing I didn't like was that it continued to work even if in blue a bulb unlike the conventional flasher.

Tim

post-15167-0-17167100-1529259872_thumb.jpg

post-15167-0-21981600-1529259840_thumb.jpg

Help please!

Just taken this pneumatic indicator switch off and replaced with an ON-OFF-ON switch so that it doesn;t go off after three flashes.

then tried to put this buzzer/light on after reading this and another discussion.

Bought it on eBay

Tested it across a 9v battery and worked fine.

then did

Two connections on buzzer.

1 to centre terminal on solenoid (light lead)

2 to earth.

(The earth was to an earth block a PO has fitted behind the bulkhead, so assume it is OK. Is for everything else on it.

Earth had to share a terminal with another earth, but that should not be a problem?

Couldn't find what the other earth does (Its spaghetti under there.)

Not a lot happened. One thin bleep and one flash then zilch.

Indicators still worked.

Reversed the wires to the buzzer; nothing.

Any ideas, please?

Many thanks Ian

PS, if anyone wants the pneumatic switch its availabel cheap!

I have recently fitted exactly the same buzzer as is in your picture. I simple wired it across the indicator lamp connections. Works a treat.

Rgds Ian

PS if sounding like a lorry reversing every time you indicate is 'working a treat'.

Edited by Ian Vincent

Thanks guys

Tried it across battery and bleeps and flashes fine

I looked at back of indicator light

Looks original

Has one bullet connector that is earthed and 12 v is soldered to centre

Was it originally a fitting and a PO has done a solder because +tive tab was gone?

So I wired from a common earth and from the solenoid

Ideas please?

Why would your indicator light be connected to the centre terminal on the solenoid? The indicator light sits between the 'P' terminal on the flasher unit and earth. If you have volts there to drive the light than you should have volts there to drive the buzzer.

Rgds Ian

PS the red (what I assume is an) LED flashes in time with the buzzer.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for these helpful responses

Had another look yesterday (car is kept in lock-up away from home so not there every day, sadly!)

The buzzer works fine across the battery.

The light from the solenoid is going from the middle terminal, which is marked "P" which I take to be the pilot light, and goes from there to the light on the dash which has an earth.

The indicators work fine. The dash light always gives a decent glow on first pulse, but then weak pulses....

On reflection that was what the buzzer might have been doing too.

In desparation have lashed out £4 for a new solenoid in case that is "weak", could it be? The flashers are working fine.

Could the earth from the indicator light create that weakness if it is not good? Surely then it would not flash OK on first pulse.

Don;t you just love wiring when several POs have had a go at it!

Many thanks

Ian

By "solenoid" do you mean the Flasher unit somtimes call the Flasher relay. ?

& if so what type do you have - original, or a modern type ?

Bob.

Edited by Lebro