Uprated halfshafts for early lockheed axle.

I know that back in the day and also Racetorations now do uprated thicker and harder material halfshafts.

Does anyone have the thickness dimensions and also an idea to check the material. It does appear that I have much thicker halfshafts fitted and perhaps these are the uprated ones.

Also information needed on axle bearings. Should the bearings be fully open or caged/covered on outboard side of them. have on of each fitted go figure that out. Both in first class condition.

Thanks

Rod

Hi Rod,

if you have a good scrap merchant your way they may have a hand held X-ray spectrometer that gives material constituents.

However depending on the cost these can be a little poor.

If you have an airport maintenance base near you they may have better bench types that are used to test oil sample debris.

https://www.bruker.com/products/x-ray-diffraction-and-elemental-analysis/handheld-xrf/x-ray-fluorescence-spectrometer.html

Bearings come on open, 1/2 sealed (one side) and fully sealed (both sides)

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Roger,

Local scrappy probably doesn't run to this level of sophistication.

Struggling to find half side open bearing as sealed both sides makes no sense with grease nipple on inboards side of the axle tube, no grease flow to bearing!

Both of the" Lockheed" half shafts I broke before switching to "Girling" broke just outside the splines where they go into the diff.

I can't see how you can change that diameter.

Bob.

• 2 years later...

"The ones from Racetorations not only seem to be "uprated", but also be the cheapest I could find ?"

Damn...I wish I needed one just so I could claim that !

Mick Richards

13 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

"The ones from Racetorations not only seem to be "uprated", but also be the cheapest I could find ?"

Damn...I wish I needed one just so I could claim that !

Mick Richards

So you woud recommend these? Or do I overread any subtle irony in your post?

17 minutes ago, Lebro said:

If Lockheed axle, change to a Girling one !!

I got through 2 X half shafts before I changed over.

Bob.

That would for sure be the more reliable way. Besides the lack of originalty, that sounds like a way more expensive way. Where do I get a proper Girling axle and for what price?

36 minutes ago, tr2_applegreen said:

That would for sure be the more reliable way. Besides the lack of originalty, that sounds like a way more expensive way. Where do I get a proper Girling axle and for what price?

I have seen a few for sale, around £200/£250 seems to be about the mark for a full axle, as obviously you would need the brakes too. Indeed I have one to hand, but I am waiting to see how I get on with the 4.1 that came in my car from new (on the heritage build sheet) before I decide whether to part with the spare 3.7 axle, sorry.

Ralph

FWIW, I had the CW&P fail on my Lockheed axle so did a 1-for-1 swap with a good condition one from TR Bitz.  I had to fit all the other bits from my axle and in the course of that I used 1/2 shielded bearings (shield facing the backplate) with speedi sleeves on the stubs.  Haven't had an issue with 'wet' brakes since and as extra insurance I have made sure the breather is kept clean so as not to pressurise the casing.  So far so good as they say!