I know this topic has been discussed at length but just thought I would share a practical example of why you should carry on with MOTTING......

My car is a TR4 in pretty good nick, sits in a dry warm garage over winter.Been out in early spring for a two day 400 mile trip with no problems, so feeling confident for the MOT test......it failed on low efficiency rear brake. The cylinder was sticking and actually stuck on when the pedal was severely stood on. The latter caused the drum to get quite warm taking it to be fixed. Having set fire to a midget (car not PORG) due to a sticking rear brake I am perhaps understandably a bit nervous of sticking brakes. I had not noticed that the braking was worse than normal and just put it down to older technology. Without being tested properly this would not have come to light.

I have since fitted a new rear cylinder, following advice from the archives, and believe me it makes quite a difference to the braking efficiency as it is now very easy to lock it up in a controlled manner (no servo).

So I will continue to have my classics MOTTED.

John

My 6 had a cracked ARB bracket that inhad not noticed, found by the MOT man.

I’ll be continuing with MOT

Steve

Had UOV (TR3) MOT'd the other day, was more than worth the money in entertainment value, teaching the MOT er how to use a fly off hand brake, where to find the dip switch how to use the indictors and the fact that he was terrified he would fall out of it when putting it on the ramp....................BUO(TR6) due to go in soon but don't think this will be as much fun.

Back from MOT station, it passed ! no advisories.

The tester was impressed with the headlights (Valeo units with relay driven Nightbreaker bulbs)

No comment made on the other lights which are all LED.

When testing the brakes he said they were better than a modern ! he managed to lock front & back & handbrake.

Bob (Smug mode)

Mine also passed last week and had similar comments about the headlights (same units as Bob's). We discussed LEDs as the stop/tail lamps are LED, my tester, who has been doing my cars for 30 years since he was an apprentice, had no problems with them in fact he has them fitted in his classic bikes.

He also picked up a couple of minor non MoT items which he fixed there and then, also reset the tracking which was a bit out. All for the price of an MoT.

Mike

All us home mechanics would do well to have an annual check from a qualified professional. My cars will continue to be MoT tested, no question.

Nigel

A thought.

On the basis that one takes one's classic car for a non compulsory MOT anually,

even though the 'authorities' have determined they are less likely to fail than a

'modern', does anyone on this forum take their brand new car (should they be lucky enough

to have such) for a non-compulsory MOT test when it's one year and then two years old,

especially considering it's likely to cover 5-10 times the annual mileage of the 'classic'

car?( a very long sentence!)

Roger M-E

...but they are taken for annual service for those none-mt years.

Also the manufacturer has tested the 'NEW' components and have a good quality basis for knowing it will be OK for at least the first three years.

My Saab 9.3 does 8000 miles/year. The 4A does 10K - 15K most of the important parts are old using old technology so give time will fail.

Roger

Roger, How do you do 23,000 miles a year when retired? I used to do 16,000 to 20,000 a year when I was working full time but now that I am retired I only do about 8,000 miles a year.

Rgds Ian

Roger,

The modern new car may be serviced at regular intervals upto

it's first MOT at 3 years, (oil and filters mostly) but they are still

failing that first MOT test at a rate of 15percent, mostly on lights,

brakes and tyres!Think about it.There you are sitting at the traffic

lights, and just under 1 in 7 of the cars surrounding you that are

under 36 months old, will fail the MOT!

Roger M-E

Roger,

Roger M-E

I once worked with a chap who bought a new Ital (it was some time ago!). I could see some rust on it, so he took it for an MOT test - it failed. With 34 miles on the clock.

Pete

Roger,

Roger M-E

The MOT on any car is only as good on the day it was tested.

I think you will find that when a new car goes in for its yearly service, a check is made over the entire vehicle.

My VW certainly does, and I have a video sent to me of the checks with a running commentary. Also get a comprehensive checklist when I pick the car up.

Another issue today is that people don't check their tyres or lights anymore. Rely on the car to tell them !!

I think the mot is important for all the above reasons

what concerns me is that if you have an accident in Europe

will the insurance company play up as they love to find any excuse to get out of paying

also why is the government behaving like this as there us always a second motive

pink

+1. I will keep sending my car in for it’s MOT. Others could find something you miss easier to spot in a pit or on a lift. And the guy I use let’s me get under his lift to have a good look round.

Mike. Redrose group

Me too.