Hi All

Kind of linked to my previous Overdrive post (Electricy Help) but more help needed with my electrical bits.

So for info it’s a UK 72 Pi and I’m installing ALL new Autosparks harnesses for the model and options.

So the Autosparks mini harness code 865 goes from the relay and ends up with two spurs, one goes to the OD and connects via another little harness BC58, and hopefully I’ve got that bit ok now. But there is still that question where does the second spur off the 865 Relay to OD harness go. It has to go to the OD switch right? But harness has a yellow green wire and a plain yellow, but the switch has the same yellow green but a black. Hmm. I suppose the black earth from switch can connect to any earth but not sure about the single yellow from the OD harness (865)?

Then there is a spur off the main harness, kind of after the heater and behind the Tacho. It contains 4 wires, 3 brown of varying thicknesses and a white with a red trace. So not sure what it is or where it goes. I was thinking through the bulkhead to supply the starter but not sure.

Slightly daft question, apart from the Horn wiring do all three column switches go under the steering column harness cover (part 611369) I’m assuming they do but it seems a bit tight through the alloy column clamps (611529 and 611530).

Hopefully pics below will help.

Cheers

Keith

post-13051-0-28266600-1527590611_thumb.jpg

post-13051-0-93079500-1527590748_thumb.jpg

The brown wires and the white/red go through the bulkhead and down to the starter.

The overdrive should be wired like this and yes all three sets of wires go through the cable tray.

Stuart.

post-3753-0-05146500-1527592313_thumb.jpg

Edited by stuart

Guy’s thanks for that.

Yep Roger those are the wiring diagrams I use (or try to) although for my 72 car I was using the 72 diagram until I realised the 71 seemed correct as my Jan 72 car was build late 71, also but not really an expert so not always simple enough for me. lol.

Thanks for that OD diag Stuart, it looks very different from my OD wiring diagram, much more detailed.

Can i take it from that Diag then that my plain yellow in the second spur off Autosparks 865 does connect to my plain black from my column mounted OD switch? As it seems counterintuitive.

Cheers

Keith

Guy’s thanks for that.

Yep Roger those are the wiring diagrams I use (or try to) although for my 72 car I was using the 72 diagram until I realised the 71 seemed correct as my Jan 72 car was build late 71, also but not really an expert so not always simple enough for me. lol.

Thanks for that OD diag Stuart, it looks very different from my OD wiring diagram, much more detailed.

Can i take it from that Diag then that my plain yellow in the second spur off Autosparks 865 does connect to my plain black from my column mounted OD switch? As it seems counterintuitive.

Cheers

Keith

Yes as your column switch is just an earth path to make the relay latch in.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

Yep that makes sense so OD now sorted (hopefully [ :)] )

As for the starter feeds, couple of Q's.

Do the wires go through a specific bulkhead hole, anyone nearby or do they go via the transmission tunnel?

My wiring diag shows two Brown and one Red/white to the starter, but also a battery feed in black, see pic. But can i interpret that to be the three brown and red/white you mentioned earlier and the direct batter feed is the thick brown from the harness.

As i said not very knowledgeable on reading wiring diags.

Cheers

Keith

post-13051-0-15092900-1527972666_thumb.jpg

Hi All

And for my next question.

So most of the connections seem ok and it’s clear what they do, but a little unsure on the Lighting control stalk

Wire from Stalk Connects to Harness same wire colour

Blue white trace Yes

Brown, Blue Trace No

Red, Green Trace Yes

Plain Blue Yes (although the switch blue is light and the harness blue is darker

Plain Brown No (Power feed?)

So seemingly two wires from the switch with nowhere to go.

But I also two wires from the harness with nowhere to go.

Brown with a White trace ( Ammeter?)

Plain Purple (Fused accessory?)

See pic.

At the moment all else seems ok and connects logically, but the above few have got me stumped. Although a few of the harness snap connectors

are double so maybe that’s the issue.

So I would be grateful of any advice.

Cheers

Keith

Edited by Keith66

Hi Stuart

Yep that makes sense so OD now sorted (hopefully [ :)] )

As for the starter feeds, couple of Q's.

Do the wires go through a specific bulkhead hole, anyone nearby or do they go via the transmission tunnel?

My wiring diag shows two Brown and one Red/white to the starter, but also a battery feed in black, see pic. But can i interpret that to be the three brown and red/white you mentioned earlier and the direct batter feed is the thick brown from the harness.

As i said not very knowledgeable on reading wiring diags.

Cheers

Keith

attachicon.gifStarter.jpg

Wires for the starter go through the bulkhead next to the battery, all of the browns connect to the starter main bolt connection and the red/white connects to the solenoid on the top of the starter and the black on the wiring diagram is the main Battery cable down to the starter.

Stuart.

Hi All

And for my next question.

So most of the connections seem ok and it’s clear what they do, but a little unsure on the Lighting control stalk

Wire from Stalk Connects to Harness same wire colour

Blue white trace Yes

Brown, Blue Trace No

Red, Green Trace Yes

Plain Blue Yes (although the switch blue is light and the harness blue is darker

Plain Brown No (Power feed?)

So seemingly two wires from the switch with nowhere to go.

But I also two wires from the harness with nowhere to go.

Brown with a White trace ( Ammeter?)

Plain Purple (Fused accessory?)

See pic.

At the moment all else seems ok and connects logically, but the above few have got me stumped. Although a few of the harness snap connectors

are double so maybe that’s the issue.

So I would be grateful of any advice.

Cheers

Keith

attachicon.gifUnid wires.png

Brown and blue connects to Brown and white. Purple connects to plain brown.

Stuart.

Stuart

You are an absolute star.

Looks like got my jobs sorted for tomorrow. lol.

Cheers

Keith