Tyre rubbing on car

Hi All,

I'd appreciate any advice on this. When my right rear wheel hits the bump stop on the suspension it seems that the tyre catches on the edge of the plate where the bump stop is making a scraping noise. Not sure whether this is a problem caused by using the slightly wider 195 tyres and switching to the standard size will eliminate it?

Cheers Daz

Hi Daz I run 195's on my six with no issues should be no problem. Can't give you any idea as to why you have the issue other than chassis off centre line.

Cheers

Mike.

Hi Daz,

what is your camber like. As the wheel goes up the negative camber (top of tyre going inboard) increases. Could this be your problem.

With the weight of the car set to optimum set the camber to 0 or -1/2'

Roger

Hi Daz,

what is your camber like. As the wheel goes up the negative camber (top of tyre going inboard) increases. Could this be your problem.

With the weight of the car set to optimum set the camber to 0 or -1/2'

Roger

Yes Roger your right, I think it's caused by the negative camber, is it easy to adjust?

Daz

Edited by DRD

If you are a masochist yes.

Have a look at the buckeye site http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Suspension/AdjRS/AdjRS.htm

If you follow their instructions to the letter it will work.

Allow yourself two days.

Roger

Blimey I'll think I'll pass on that???? Edited by DRD

Simple check would be the number of notches on the trailing arm brackets.....and of course the condition of them and the bushes.

Two days Roger?? I suppose with a cup of tea every ten minutes maybe!????

Hi Daz,

there are adjustable TA brackets that would make the job easier/quicker.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/steering-suspension/rear-suspension/adjustable-trailing-arm-brackets.html

Hi Dave,

If you are very careful, when following the Buckeye instructions, then you may get the correct result in one hit.

However it is quite possible to need to repeat the operation a couple of times t get it spot on.

The notches do not always give the true condition. I've got an odd combination on my 4A.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Daz,

Few questions and suggestion... Multiple factors (and associate combinations) have to be considered, Tire size, Wheel size, Camber, Telescopic conversion bracket.... rebound stop....do not jump on only one factor !

=> What is a scarping noise, what are the marks or scratches and where is the rubbing on your tire ?

=> What is the configuration on your TR6 ?

- Tire: 195 mining 195/65 R15, or something exotic ?

- Wheel: Is your wheel std size 5 1/2 J x15, otherwise was are the specs ?

- Rear Camber: What is your current camber measurements ? and associated arrangements on the trailing arm brackets (Inner, Outer, Notch, Up/Down ? Make also a comparison R vs L side

- Rea suspension: Is your rear suspension w/ Amstrong shock absorber (Lever type) or a conversion to telescopic? If telescopic, what is the type of associated brackets ?

- Rubber stop: When you said "When my right rear wheel hits the bump stop on the suspension it seems that the tyre catches on the edge of the plate where the bump stop is making a scraping noise", You are talking about the bump stop on the trailing arm (not the rebound stop on the chassis side) ? But this issue related to the bump stop is confusing (I do not see the way the tire can scratch on the bump stop (trailing arm side) !?.... are you talking about the bump stop or rebound stop ? Make also a comparaison R side vs L side and check if the rubber stop, is the short or the longer one ? Ref. 136758 vs 155719.

Regards

Edited by Marc R

Hi Daz,

Few questions and suggestion... Multiple factors (and associate combinations) have to be considered, Tire size, Wheel size, Camber, Telescopic conversion bracket.... rebound stop....do not jump on only one factor !

=> What is a scarping noise, what are the marks or scratches and where is the rubbing on your tire ?

=> What is the configuration on your TR6 ?

- Tire: 195 mining 195/65 R15, or something exotic ?

- Wheel: Is your wheel std size 5 1/2 J x15, otherwise was are the specs ?

- Rear Camber: What is your current camber measurements ? and associated arrangements on the trailing arm brackets (Inner, Outer, Notch, Up/Down ? Make also a comparison R vs L side

- Rea suspension: Is your rear suspension w/ Amstrong shock absorber (Lever type) or a conversion to telescopic? If telescopic, what is the type of associated brackets ?

- Rubber stop: When you said "When my right rear wheel hits the bump stop on the suspension it seems that the tyre catches on the edge of the plate where the bump stop is making a scraping noise", You are talking about the bump stop on the trailing arm (not the rebound stop on the chassis side) ? But this issue related to the bump stop is confusing (I do not see the way the tire can scratch on the bump stop (trailing arm side) !?.... are you talking about the bump stop or rebound stop ? Make also a comparaison R side vs L side and check if the rubber stop, is the short or the longer one ? Ref. 136758 vs 155719.

Regards

Hi Marc,

The car has a standard suspension setup, with the lever arm dampers. The tyres are 196/65 running on 5.5j wheels.

You can see witness marks on the inside sidewall of the tyre which are rubbing on the outside edge of part no. 713043.

The noise is best described as a graunching sound.

The car has just passed its MOT and all the bushes etc seem fine.

Daz

Hi Daz

If the tire is hitting & rubbing on the "Bracket suspension bump stop RH" ref. 713043, my next questions are... :

- Did you have fixed on the trailing arm RH, the "Bump stop" ref. 136758 ?

- Is your car is equipped w/ original wheels ?

Nevertheless, you may have certainly issues w/ the camber and global seting of the rears sup

Regards

Edited by Marc R

All of what Marc R is suggesting, plus how long has it been doing it? i.e has it just started? has it been getting worse? if the former, has anything occured that could have put things out of kilter?

Hi Daz

If the tire is hitting & rubbing on the "Bracket suspension bump stop RH" ref. 713043, my next questions are... :

- Did you have fixed on the trailing arm RH, the "Bump stop" ref. 136758 ?

- Is your car is equipped w/ original wheels ?

Nevertheless, you may have certainly issues w/ the camber and global seting of the rears sup

Regards

Marc - yes to both questions.

Its only started doing it since it had an MOT!

Marc - yes to both questions.

Its only started doing it since it had an MOT!

Is it possible that the MOT garage jacked it up in a manner that has affected it? I'm not sure how they would have done but perhaps an avenue to go down.Have you used the garage before?

Maybe they used a pry bar to check the bushes and fractured a bracket. They do break as I had a cracked one when I first got my car. They crack across the two fixings.

Maybe they used a pry bar to check the bushes and fractured a bracket. They do break as I had a cracked one when I first got my car. They crack across the two fixings.

Thanks I'll check this.

One thing I have noticed is that this wheel is binding slightly and getting quite hot which was possibly increasing tyre pressure. I've slackened the adjuster so I'll see if this helps.

Cheers Daz

Might be a stupidly obvious Q but if it's a sound on full compression of the back... have you got the twin "wheelbarrow" exhausts? The RHS one isn't catching on the ground causing the sound is it? Or can you see the rubbing on the tyre?

Might be a stupidly obvious Q but if it's a sound on full compression of the back... have you got the twin "wheelbarrow" exhausts? The RHS one isn't catching on the ground causing the sound is it? Or can you see the rubbing on the tyre?

on full compression of the suspension the negative camber is at max.

If there is tyre sidewall wear then that is the major clue.

Roger

Daz

Can you upload some pictures?

A. The back of the car sitting on its wheels. (If you’ve had it jacked just bounce it up and down a couple of times to settle the suspension).

B. Jacked up and the wheels removed

C. The contact areas.

It seems a little odd that it was no problem until the MOT.

The tyre size doesn’t matter if they are the ‘minilite’ style. A lot of folk here run the 195 tyres.

Could one possibility be that they jacked the car on the part of the chassis on which the trailing arm mounts? If that is corroded it could have deformed inducing extra camber

on full compression of the suspension the negative camber is at max.

If there is tyre sidewall wear then that is the major clue.

Roger

That’s kinda what I was wondering (unless I’ve misunderstood the whole thing).

Doesn’t that mean it’s less likely to foul the arch?

This is a bit of a 'head scratcher'!

I run 6.5j wheels with 205/60 tyres and lowered springs but don't have rubbing issues.

I'm having difficulty recalling the relative positions but I would have thought that in normal operation, the tyre would be above the deepest part of the bump stop. Whereabouts on the bump stop are the witness marks?

This is a bit of a 'head scratcher'!

I run 6.5j wheels with 205/60 tyres and lowered springs but don't have rubbing issues.

I'm having difficulty recalling the relative positions but I would have thought that in normal operation, the tyre would be above the deepest part of the bump stop. Whereabouts on the bump stop are the witness marks?

You can see the part of the bodywork where the bump stop hits is clean of dirt and there's marks on the inside edge of the tyres.