Routes and places in France and Italy

No, simply from the Easternmost town in the Netherlands: Enschede. I met them at the workshop where my TRs radiartor was healed. Theyd bought a Pre-war Jaguar / SS coupe and they were looking for parts

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

But the baurty of Colle della lombarda is its through threes at first and many winding bends on Italian side.

If you want to be adventurous try Colle delle Finestre, its unlaid last 5 miles.

+1 for the Col de la Bonette Dirk. This and its neighbour the Col de Restefond (2680m) are on a through route. The Cime to which John refers is simply a loop to take you to the highest point and scenic look out. I last did this pass three years ago and the surface was wonderful, not a nid de poule in sight, with many long sweeping bends mixed with hairpins and generally good open views. We were fortunate enough in September to climb all the way from just past Jausiers without meeting another car on the way up, just magic and well worth a detour. You could then travel to the Turin area via Cuneo crossing into Italy over the Col de la Lombarde, a mere minnow at 2350m.

Tim

Hello Dirk

The Col du Mont Cenis is worth a trip over

Roger

post-7600-0-81517000-1527707453_thumb.jpg

post-7600-0-38658500-1527707470_thumb.jpg

post-7600-0-96079600-1527707497_thumb.jpg

post-7600-0-02302800-1527707515_thumb.jpg

post-7600-0-97961300-1527707538_thumb.jpg

Thank you!

That is a good amount of help for me to map a route.

I am really looking forward to it. Road trips are really great ways to see a country as I am sure you all know well!

I have done a trip before from Amsterdam to Maranello (In a 275 GTB/4. For real.) which was via Switzerland and some busy roads. The Italians seemed to appreciate the Ferrari though and we could travel about 100mph most of the way.

A few images from a recent 4500km road trip here in South Africa. I like the Porsche as I can take it everywhere and it has enough space for camping gear too. It was supposed to be a TR2 trip, but most unfortunately and sadly the car was not ready in time.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMuAzaBqA-J5gKOwsaWSQigxH0yZk0T-5gjaLlHFge9lFxpz2TaSA7T96mRdkBGHw?key=bHE3RWMxYVQ0a29VVHRZekhqbU1aU0pCdE5abGhR

Dirk

French motorways: the number of your licence plate will appear on LED portals above the road, asking you to back down. The ask once and polite. If you don't comply, there will be a looooong and not-so-pleasant conversation with the Gendarmerie at the toll-booth square... Especially without a French l/plate, you're a sitting duck.

And when you oversee a Gatso, the fine will be at your doormat before you are at home yourself. Don't ask me how I know...

Menno

French motorways: the number of your licence plate will appear on LED portals above the road, asking you to back down. The ask once and polite. If you don't comply, there will be a looooong and not-so-pleasant conversation with the Gendarmerie at the toll-booth square... Especially without a French l/plate, you're a sitting duck.

And when you oversee a Gatso, the fine will be at your doormat before you are at home yourself. Don't ask me how I know...

Menno

Also don't go too fast or too slow through the tunnels or you get nice photos for your holiday albums. If you travel from Reims to Dijon to Lyons then you pass near Beaune.

The Chateau & museum at Savigny is worth a visit, www.chateau-savigny.com/

We never bother with the tunnels these days. The passes are more interesting and quite often there have been massive (over 1 hour) queues at the tunnel entrances.

Since the fire in Mont Blanc vehicles are let through with a timed gap between them. It’s a sensible safety precaution, but it does mean that at busy times the cars and trucks back up quite a long way.

Charlie.

Hi Dirk

From what part of S. Africa are you? I lived for 30 years out there in Benoni, and my wife was born in Durban.

WE left in 1962 and went to England until 2004, when we left and took up residence in Spain until today.

Dave

Also don't go too fast or too slow through the tunnels or you get nice photos for your holiday albums. If you travel from Reims to Dijon to Lyons then you pass near Beaune.

The Chateau & museum at Savigny is worth a visit, www.chateau-savigny.com/

Don't forget the wine !! Savigny les Beaune.

As someone who llives in an important wine area, I would suggest driving in those areas in late September/October when you will get the most benefit. In France now its the time to swing slightly further south and catch all the lavender fields.

But heh anything is good when your motoring. Dont know when your going but we are having rather poor weather in Europe this year.

T

Edited by Rem18

Hi Dirk

From what part of S. Africa are you? I lived for 30 years out there in Benoni, and my wife was born in Durban.

WE left in 1962 and went to England until 2004, when we left and took up residence in Spain until today.

Dave

Hi Dave.

Pretoria myself. It's a great city weather wise, but not a great motoring city as you know. No interesting roads close by which is why I went on the Cape Town road trip. So I could mess around in the Cape passes which are right up there with the best motoring fun in the world.

Dirk

• 3 weeks later...

Just a small report.

Unfortunately my friend decided to use the tunnel at Frejus rather than the Col Cenis that I wanted.

We did take a wrong roundabout exit and ended up in very tiny Routes des Alpes area (D104A) between Serrieres and Belley in the F40! I think we may have traumatised some French citizenry.

Anyway it was a great trip and the take away point is that the Ferrari F40 exceeds all the praise that has been heaped on it. It a monumental car and completely addictive.

And I have never been in anything that draws as much attention from all ages and sexes, all the time.

Now I want to do the same trip in the TR2 though as it seems very suited to the small French roads which are in such a great state of repair.

Dirk

Has anybody done the Nationale 7 in France, Paris to Nice. Very old French tourist holiday route. Are there any places worth a visit. Planning to do this route in the coming days.

John