irritating noise on acceleration

Really quite happy with the way my 4a running at the moment................but now that conking out "seems" to be a thing of the past what passes for my attention turns to smaller issues, well I hope they are smaller issues.

I'v got this noise, it's not heavy enough to be a clonk, its not a light rattle, it's somewhere inbetween, it happens / is most noticeable on acceleration, much less so when cruising and not at all when just ticking over. I first thought it might be either the speedo or rev counter cables but I think it's too "heavy" for that and surely at least the speedo cable would still be noisy when cruising, but it is that sort of speed.

I'm sorry it's quite difficult to explain and probably just as difficult to diagnose but I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Second irritation is a rather too noisy exhaust system, during the rebuild I fitted a shiny new stainless exhaust..............it's starting to get on my nerves now, short of replacing it any suggestions?

Thank you, David

Second irritation is a rather too noisy exhaust system, during the rebuild I fitted a shiny new stainless exhaust..............it's starting to get on my nerves now, short of replacing it any suggestions?

David, are you certain there are no leaks from the joints? I was surprised at how much extra noise mine made because of a couple of very small leaks.

Pete

That made me think....how does he know about my bugg**ed up joints.

I see what you mean, I'll take a look, It would be nice if that cured / helped the situation, dare say my neighbour would be happier if I could exit my garage a little more quietly, particularly with all the early start breakfast meets.

David

David. Could it be the engine is pinking. This sounds like a rattle esp when accelerating.

Have you used a different fuel recently?

H

under acceleration - so could it be the exhaust pipe touching the chassis and resonating?

Pinking is an interesting thought, sort of fits the symptoms, but to me it sounds a little "heavier" than that. I'll wind back the advance a tad and enrich the fuel mix a couple of flats and see what happens.

As to knocking exhaust, i think the noise is too rapid for that, but while I'm underneath checking for leaks i'll have a good poke about.

Thanks all

David

one last idea (and then I'll get my coat ;) ). You say an irritating noise under acceleration I sometimes get this but its source is in the passenger seat and it only happens under extreme acceleration e.g. unrestricted autobahns in wet and windy weather. :ph34r: .

I presume you have checked your passenger seat ? :blink:

one last idea (and then I'll get my coat ;) ). You say an irritating noise under acceleration I sometimes get this but its source is in the passenger seat and it only happens under extreme acceleration e.g. unrestricted autobahns in wet and windy weather. :ph34r: .

Ben. I did not know you have a spare navigator !!!!!!!!!!!!

Is the shiny new exhaust one of the big-bore, single-pipe, single-box type ones? I found the similar one for a TR4 a bit too noisy and added an extra "bomb" type muffler/silencer halfway (ish) down the pipe.

I know, I know, TR's are supposed to be loud, etc...... It was a bit too much "look at me" in the city, for my taste.

Cheers,

Tim

Is the shiny new exhaust one of the big-bore, single-pipe, single-box type ones? I found the similar one

for a TR4 a bit too noisy and added an extra "bomb" type muffler/silencer halfway (ish) down the pipe.

I know, I know, TR's are supposed to be loud, etc...... It was a bit too much "look at me" in the city,

for my taste.

Cheers,

Tim

I had the same problem and went for the same solution.

AlanR

I have the same problem !

I call it the "Nagnav"

:-)

Sounds familiar,

Last month " Why are we going so fast"

Last week " why are we going so slow" ?

Bit like the 3 bears only I've spent nearly 50 years trying to get it

"Just Right"!!!

Chris

I hate to mention this, but when one tooth is shed from the pinion, then one can get a regular rattle from the rear end, but usually only when on drive, not over-run.

I hope it's not this, because once one tooth is shed, others will follow.

Ian Cornish

My "sat next to me nav" is a rare visitor to my TR exploits, so I can rule that option out, but thanks for you concern. :unsure:

I confess I did nothing much more today than adjust the mix and retard the advance............too hot in the shed. It certainly did speed up the tickover but soon wound that back to about 800.if that does not make a difference re the pinking I can soon put it back where it was.

The other thing I did was I hope sorted out number 2 plug which has always been a little sooty, turns out it wasn't getting enough electrickery to spark, at least not a proper spark. Traced to my own poor fitting of it's plug lead to the dizzy top, the screw had not even penetrated the cable. It'l be interesting to see how she goes with 4 properly functioning plugs.

The exhaust is of the twin "wheelbarrow" type so I'm not sure if I could fit in intermediate mufflers, especially if it reduces ground clearance. I'll concentrate on checking for leeks for now, If I do find leeks I assume the best thing to do is to apply lashings of cheese sauce.

thanks all David

David

It's not the gear lever rattling? If you haven't got your plunger in the hole in it's bottom, suitably stiffened with it's spring, it will rattle on acceleration - gripping the shaft (gearlever ) tightly will normally result in a successful resolution! :wub: The spring often goes missing on installation - Roger is an expert on this and also how to fit it assuming you can find it after the first abortive attempt ( he's not very expert at that - there's a whole army of parts hiding somewhere in his garage, by all accounts :o

As for your exhaust , have you got two silencers on each pipe run or just one?

If you are planning to get to the Alma on Thursday night, more than happy to have a listen to both probs

Just a final thought, are you sure you haven't got any bats or mice ( dead) in your fuel tank rattling about ( or maybe a rat??)!!!

I'm running.....

Cheers

Rich

If you are planning to get to the Alma on Thursday night, more than happy to have a listen to both probs

This sounds ('scuse pun) like a good plan!

Other diagnostic ideas: Is it at a specific RPM? Is it engine speed related (does it increase in pitch as revs rise)? Is it road speed related? Does it happen if you are turning right and/or left? Hot and/or cold engine? etc.

Thanks for the suggestions Tim, if none of the other ideas work out I'll work through your list. Though I can rule out the turning left and right option, in this country your hard put to drive 50 feet in a straight line.

Richard I will hopefully be at the Alma on Thursday and If it's still happening another pair of ears could very well help, failing that if you wouldn't mind just sitting on the nearside wing, with the bonnet open obviously whilst I drive round the lanes for a bit you might spot it :unsure:

As to missing spring on gear leaver............well I'll try gripping the shaft first thing in the morning and see if it rattles :rolleyes: .This is in danger of turning in to "allo allo" you'll

get us both drummed out of the brownies.