Bag of spanners?

My TR6 of 38 years ownership has recently started making some odd noises under the bonnet. It has been some 75-80,000 miles since the last major engine overhaul in 1982. It now sounds like I left a bag of spanners in there. Anybody got any idea what is making the unusual sound? I know I am heading for rebuild any time soon, but can it last the season?

https://youtu.be/Bc7tYelZsLE

https://youtu.be/8c2Zo-Im0lc

I did a compression test and all cylinders are quite similar but much lower than the last test I did in 2011. Over the last few years the oil consumption has worsened. I have tried the long screwdriver to my ear against various parts of the engine and nothing stands out.

Mick

Edited by red6

Hello Red6 (do you have a Christian Name?), it's difficult to tell, but I would suggest valve gear. Have you checked the valve clearances recently? If not, it might be worth a try. As for life expectancy, as long as the oil is changed regularly, the noise doesn't sound terminal to me.

Please keep us informed howit goes.

Austin

When my 4A engine sounded like an orchestra of discordant wood wind and banjos it was the camshaft and followers.

Keep the rocker gaps tightened down, keep an eye on the oil and drive it to its death.

Roger.

Valve gear and maybe the water pump bearing. Take the fan belt off and check the water pump for play.

The alternator beaings may be another area to look.

Dave

Mine made a horrible racket that seemed to come from the bottom end, it turned out to be the crankshaft pulley delaminating from the harmonic damper.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Had a visit today from two friends who came round for a listen and a poke about. One thought it was the water pump - but no sign of any leakage so I had dismissed this earlier. So just to eliminate this and the alternator, we took the fan belt off, as suggested by DaveR, started the engine and was amazed how sweet she sounded. Checked the play in the pump and you could rock it +/- 3mm at the pulley flange with a loud clonking noise. I am staggered it did not leak given that much play in the bearing.

New pump ordered, be back on the road by the weekend. all thoughts of an expensive rebuild on the back burner for the time being. Phew. Still burns and leaks oil but what the heck.

Mick

Mick,

Mine was not as noisy as yours but using the screwdriver to ear trick pinpointed the source of the noise, which was confirmed by play in the pulley. New pump fitted, and now the really good news:

In the car I had been hearing a whirring sound which sounded to be from the gearbox or clutch, along with impending investigation blues. Well.... it was the water pump. Surprised how than sound transmitted back into the car.

Mick,

It seems recommended that the old water pump be rebuilt as new ones are sub-par. Keep your old one, just in case.

No personal experience.

Graham

A new water pump arrived from Moss this morning, fitted and tested and all working well. It looks identical to the one removed, which was fitted many years ago, I can't remember when, probably an age thing. I could keep the old one as a spare as I know it does not leak, seems a bit odd though.

Mick

Mick,

It seems recommended that the old water pump be rebuilt as new ones are sub-par. Keep your old one, just in case.

No personal experience.

Graham

As an aside to parts quality… I've had a repro County pump (GWP201) from Chris Witor on my saloon since 2010. No issues, no leaks and the bearing is still quiet after all that time and some 40,000 miles. With that in mind I've also got a recently-purchased unit of the same to go on my TR6 engine when the rebuild is finished.

Just my two penn'orth but thought it was worth a mention. Glad the OP is sorted anyway!

Cheers,

Matt

The one from Moss was also a County pump (GWP201) Made in India. Hope it does 40,000 miles as well, if it does it will see me out.

Mick

A new water pump arrived from Moss this morning, fitted and tested and all working well. It looks identical to the one removed, which was fitted many years ago, I can't remember when, probably an age thing. I could keep the old one as a spare as I know it does not leak, seems a bit odd though.

Mick

Mick - if you want a spare, and a good one at that, send your old one to EP Services in Wolverhampton ( http://www.ep-services.co.uk/our_company) and they will recondition your old one to better than new and give it a lifetime guarantee and for not a lot of money - good old fashioned engineering firm using proper seals and bearings - contact details:

Unit 1 Central Trading Estate,

Cable Street, Wolverhampton,

West Midlands, England, WV2 2RJ

Tel: +44 (0)1902 452 914

Fax: +44 (0)1902 871 547

Out Of Hours: +44 (0)7770 747724

No links with this company other than as a satisfied customer

Cheers

Rich