Those Bl**dy Door Pins..

So

After a LOT of faffing I figured it, use wire coat hangers and then snap them when in place, but to help get the correct snap point part cut the coat hanger at the exact break point.

Just be careful of the sharp coat hanger ends and your vinyl.

sure this is done before but big satisfaction here!

Rich

Edited by AarhusTr6

I bought surgeon clamps just for this job, and they made it easy. Very useful for other things too, like surgery.

I am also in the possession of a scalpel with sterile blades, so if I should ever need surgery I can now do this in my own home without going to the hospital.

How hard can I be? Restoring a TR6 must be harder surely, of course watching some YouTube videos first is a must. Would not attempt brain or heart surgery in the beginning though.

Magnus

Edited by TRseks

I've tried the surgical clamps but a bit of welding rod scored at the correct length is much easier.

Another thing to remember is that the repro window winders are (mis) drilled deeper into the door so even more difficult to fit the pins.

I've tried the surgical clamps but a bit of welding rod scored at the correct length is much easier.

Another thing to remember is that the repro window winders are (mis) drilled deeper into the door so even more difficult to fit the pins.

The repro winder mechanisms have shorter stubs for the winder handle thats where the problem lies.

Stuart.

Needle nose pliers ( don't have to be surgical clamps which are an extreme version of same ) and a 1/8" thick x2"W x3"L shim with a U slot cut out placed between the black plastic bezel and the handle, slot oriented in line with the pin hole get it done pretty easily - push on the handle and slip the pin in when aligned with the holes. I've kept the same shim on hand since the last century.

I've done it with repro window cranks too.

Cheers,

Tom

Rich

Get yourself a pair of these and if you are feeling flush, get both the 4" and 6" ones and you wont have any future problems with door pins.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Irwin-Vise-Grip-4LN-Long-Nose-Locking-Mole-Grip-Pliers-100mm-4-T1602EL4-4LNC/142429062950?epid=1404142597&hash=item21296f0726:g:IAgAAOSw1BlZU8Zy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Irwin-Vise-Grip-6-Long-Nose-Locking-Pliers-150mm-6LN/231814668832?epid=1004170749&hash=item35f93b2220:g:z5QAAOSwFqJWp40I

They are also incredibly useful around the workshop for numerous other jobs - the Irwin Vise Grips are good quality and the ones to go for - the cheaper unbranded ones are nowhere near as good and the jaws are not strong enough for many jobs

Cheers

Rich

Go to your local friendly welding chappy get an 1/8 rod take of all the flux cut half way through at the right length insert and snap off much stronger an straighter than coat hanger and you'll have plenty left for the next if you remember where the rod is :rolleyes:

This is my first post so be gentle with me :D

Go to your local friendly welding chappy get an 1/8 rod take of all the flux cut half way through at the right length insert and snap off much stronger an straighter than coat hanger and you'll have plenty left for the next if you remember where the rod is :rolleyes:

This is my first post so be gentle with me :D

And a fine first post Bob!

Rich