Removing Door Window Scratches

I am currently re-building the doors on my car. After washing off the door glass there are signs of a band of little scratches where the seals fitted. Presumably there has been dirt between the seal and the glass and over many years of winding up and down it has scratched the glass. Has anyone managed to polish the worst of this damage out and if so how did you do it?

Thanks,

Barry

There are glass polishing kits out there.

Dad and I tried one years ago to get the windscreen wiper marks out of an SP250 screen

It cracked !!

So we had to get another.

I think it got too hot and that is quite a shaped screen too.

On a flat glass little and often may work ?

H

Hi Barry,

the door glass is tempered and as well as being tough it is also quite hard.

If you over heat it locally it can shatter.

Door glass from Moss is apprx £50/side. Don't waste your time - go an buy decent glass.

Roger

I used a glass polishing kit which included white powder to make into paste and a buffing wheel to fit into a drill. This will get rid of the scratches on edges of side windows caused by worn channels but took a day's work. Only down side is it does change the optics of the glass and leaves it looking like a magnifying glass. Ok for edges but no use for areas where you look through or on a windscreen. If you want it to look like new then you need to buy new glass.

Chris

I've done this to a windscreen. If the scratches are deep enoughnto feel with a finger nail, they are too deep to polish out.

J.

+1

Tried jewellers rouge etc on similar side window scratches, if you can feel them with your finger nail it wont work, save lots of your time failing, buy new ones and be happy with the result

Alan