Sorry, didn't know where to post this, but I suppose it covers technical "stuff". Just received notice via another club that a member visited a Post Office with his V112 form (request for MOT exemption) only to be turned away and referred to this site www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles There it states "You do not have to apply to stop getting an MOT for your vehicle each year. However you must still keep it in roadworthy condition" You can the access a description of "roadworthy condition" So much for all the hard work put in by our admin team in deciphering the regulations! What a waste of their valuable time. Cheers all, Mike.

I'm speculating but if your vehicle was taxed in the previous year, you might not need a V112 whereas, if it was previously on SORN, you would need the form and the tax application to re-activate.

Just a thought.

• 1 month later...

Spoke to DVLA. My car is due for MOT in November (although exempt if I fill in V112) and tax due next March. They said I should declare V112 when I tax the car. I said that would mean I had no MOT between November and March unless I completed V112 in November. They said that didn't matter. Not at all sure how this is supposed to work so will get an MOT in November as usual. The whole system seems to be very unclear. I thought if you wanted exemption you just filled in V112 but apparently not. I also thought you had to declare exemption each time you re-taxed the car. Most people I speak to say they are going to continue with an MOT anyway. However if the "system" that DVLA use automatically registers a historic vehicle as not requiring an MOT will a test result be ignored anyway.

Can of worms!

Keith

Just keep vehicle tested I think. No info from my insurers what their views are yet.

If your car is taxed, you do not need to do any type of ‘claim’ for MOT exemption.

The only time you need to confirm details with a V112 is at road tax renewal time.

You are able to present your car at a test station for MOT tesing at any time you like.... you could do it every week if you felt so inclined.

None of the above alters your obligation to ensure your vehicle is roadworthy at all times when used on the public highway.

..... Andy

As I have done since 1996, I took my car for its MOT this morning. And, as ever, John made a very thorough inspection and detected a slight rumble in the right front wheel bearing - something which I had not noticed prior to the International Weekend, but had been too busy to check the wheel bearings on my return. This is not the first occasion on which the very-experienced John has picked up a problem, and I am very glad for his independent assessment of the state of my car, for I might not have detected the problem for a while longer.

Result: Advisory on the MOT certificate, and a new set of bearings plus seal now ordered for me to fit soon.

Who believes one does not need an MOT, whether required by law or not?

John and I agree that the Department of Transport is nuts to drop the requirement on 40 year old vehicles, and he tells me that he is not at all impressed with some of the pass/fail/advisory criteria which apply to more modern vehicles.

Ian Cornish

just got my renewal form for the 1968 TR5 states this vehicle requires an appropriate MOT. ???????

MOT still in date

Roy

The form always says that Roy irrespective of the age of the car and whether an MoT is required or not.

When you use the code number provided to renew your zero tax, you will be asked whether your vehicle has been substantially modified (a link to the description defining it is provided), or whether it will be exempted from an MOT.

Make your choice...I have just done mine.

Cheers,

Jerry