Wailing Bosch Pump

Last year I fitted new bosch pump conversion, new metering unit (exchange), new injector hoses,new PRV (bought outright no exchange availble), car was EFI but I changed it back to P.I. after ECU melt down. The pump has now started wailing like a banshee, have replaced bosch filter. Could problem be the PRV or is it something else? Car starts OK and runs OK. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Graham.

Edited by hoppy

I'll have to check the number, unit was supplied from Moss last year. I was thinking that fuelstarvation might have something to do with it, next course of action is to fit a larger diameter hose from the tank to the filter.

Thanks for your reply Rem 18

Edited by hoppy

Dont go touching things.

The fluel flow will only be as fast as the least diameter bit from the tank.

Where is the pump situated?

Are all hoses good and not restricted?

Then disconnect the fuel filter at the pump inlet and see how much fuel pours into your boot hahahah you should have a steady supply.

After YOu say you have a Bosch filter presumably after the pump? Try running everything without the filter for a few minutes (after your sure at the fuel flow test you didnt have crud)

Tony

I'll have to check the number, unit was supplied from Moss last year. I was thinking that fuelstarvation might have something to do with it, next course of action is to fit a larger diameter hose from the tank to the filter.

Thanks for your reply Rem 18

I assume the PRV pressure setting has been checked and is correct, otherwise I'd check the suction line and make sure there is an anti resonance loop installed in the PRV return to the tank.

My PRV is set at 680kPa when tested with air, it works well in my car's system but most people have the PRV set a bit higher.

Edited by Mike C

Last year I fitted new bosch pump conversion, new metering unit (exchange), new injector hoses,new PRV (bought outright no exchange availble), car was EFI but I changed it back to P.I. after ECU melt down. The pump has now started wailing like a banshee, have replaced bosch filter. Could problem be the PRV or is it something else? Car starts OK and runs OK. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Graham.

It can also be the hose from pump to PRV causing harmonic hammering! Some of the suppliers that supply these conversion kits use 1000psi hose, this is always a good recipe to get this noise? The hose s/b as flexible as possible and rated at 150psi working pressure, then you will not get that noise. I always use a rubber type like Gates Barricade. Check that hose out first on your car!

Bruce.

The hose from the pump to prv is vibrating, have ordered longer hose that I'll fit next week and let you know the result.

Mike C the prv was supplied with the pressure pre-set, if the hose doesn't resolve the issue then I will have to fit a diaphragm prv.

The hose from the pump to prv is vibrating, have ordered longer hose that I'll fit next week and let you know the result.

Mike C the prv was supplied with the pressure pre-set, if the hose doesn't resolve the issue then I will have to fit a diaphragm prv.

Squeeze the hose gently with a pair of pliers.

Does it stop the noise?

If so consider fitting a clamp around the hose with a bolt trapped in between it and the hose to distort the hose cross section.

That worked 25 years ago on a 2.5PI estate with one of KMI's first Bosch pump kits.

Peter W

On mine I had to fit a new house from the pump to the PRV. this made it buzz. Using a jubilee clip and a bit of lead damped it pretty well but in the end I used a diaphragm prv which sorted it out.

Have you fixed this now?

I was working on another cars pump today.

If you need any assistance with the Bosch Pumpp let me know as I have a lot of information on how to source and which pumps can be used and some easy fixes for these pumps.

Tony

Hi Rem 18 (Tony), I have got a longer hose ready to fit, but haven't had a chance to fit it as yet.(work commitments). Hopefully I will be able to fit it this week, if it doesn't cure the problem I'll fit a diaphragm PRV.

I normally fill with super unleaded but this morning I accidentally filled with "normal" unleaded and the wailing has stopped.

Will let you know how I get on with the longer hose, Thanks for your help.

Edited by hoppy

I have to be honest and say I run with normal most times.

How is pump temperature when running, if a Bosch pump is hot its normally due to having trouble getting enough fuel.

Good luck. Now if you need or want to change the pump I have a large list of compatibles and there are a lot of non Bosch supstitutes on the market for very small sums now.

T

Hi Rem 18 (Tony), I have got a longer hose ready to fit, but haven't had a chance to fit it as yet.(work commitments). Hopefully I will be able to fit it this week, if it doesn't cure the problem I'll fit a diaphragm PRV.

I normally fill with super unleaded but this morning I accidentally filled with "normal" unleaded and the wailing has stopped.

Will let you know how I get on with the longer hose, Thanks for your help.

I seemed to have stopped my Bosch pump wailing with a proper CAV filter, the one I took off was from Moss. I took the filter apart, it wasn't dirty, but seemed to have much less paper and thicker construction. I was going to do a flow test through it, but got carried away when I took it off and opened it up see what was inside, anyway the new one seems to be working much better.

John