My wife is driving me nuts

My wife is also not too keen on my 3a because of the apparent vulnerability hence the acquisition of a 5 as a project - her idea!

Tim

I am beginning to bring my better half Sophie round to the joys of sidescreens.

She no longer shuts her eyes and screams in terror when i take her for rides in it, she even said that she enjoyed our outing to the local car club in it a couple of weeks ago. Sophies Mum who is 84 loves the car she says its like being driven round like a queen (she has a good imagination)

cheers

Alan

Drop your wife for your mother in law?

I am beginning to bring my better half Sophie round to the joys of sidescreens.

She no longer shuts her eyes and screams in terror when i take her for rides in it, she even said that she enjoyed our outing to the local car club in it a couple of weeks ago. Sophies Mum who is 84 loves the car she says its like being driven round like a queen (she has a good imagination)

cheers

Alan

But your right Lebro. I should try and swap my Ok Tr5 for a nice Tr3 or something.

What could you get for the wife?

Dave

R.E.M. your wife obviously is a lady of taste and style..

How could a Spitfire ever compare? - You are surely joking!

In fact... That was the only thing Harry got wrong, great day, great weather, on a promise and then spoilt it all... taking Megan home in an old, left hooker Jag, rather than proper side screen fit for a Princess

Well she did chose me didnt she.

But you know your not necessarily right. The early Spitfires were Michelotti cars and did you know that the Spitfire was Michelottis favorite design out of the 1200 autos he did?

I have been offered a nice MK1 Spit for a third to a 1/4 of the price of a TR2-3

I cant see my wife on the school run with a Tr2-3.

R.E.M. your wife obviously is a lady of taste and style..
How could a Spitfire ever compare? - You are surely joking!
In fact... That was the only thing Harry got wrong, great day, great weather, on a promise and then spoilt it all... taking Megan home in an old, left hooker Jag, rather than proper side screen fit for a Princess

Hire one for a few days and take her for a drive - it might dampen her enthusiasm. My wife doesn't like going in mine, she feels too exposed and thinks it's a toy.

Rgds Ian

I think this idea of Ian's has merit but it needs to be extended on.

If she already has experience of driving a TR2-3 fair enough, but they are totally different animal from a nice Mk1 Spitfire I agree. Ladies do drive sidescreen TRs but they are of their time and she may find a heavier steering action too trying if the cars is to be hers for everyday use.

Mick Richards

Ah decisions.... decisions....

Ok so Its getting complicated but its that nice kind of complicated where something might actually come out.

So first off I am in Italy not UK.

So we started out looking for a MK1V Spitfire for the school run(just one kid) with the idea It would be used every day except terrible days, with maybe a hardtop in winter a 3monthly checkover etc seemed a more practical nice runaround.

Then I found a MK1 1300 thats looks nice but its 7 hours drive away. And already the school run car is becoming a bit special.

Now

I have been offered what looks like a nice tr3 for the price .

My own car is a 5.

I dont think the 5 is that stiff except stopped dead.

A lady I know has a 5 with a powered steering setup maybe the 3 can be converted too? I have seen there are even electric systems available too.

Now of course she is not daft a Tr3 is something else. But its not exactly the school run car. That said I use my 5 for the school run some afternoons and for the odd trip, I have even used my Michelotti Pura to go down the supermarket.

Then there are people like Roger who claim 330 days in his 4.

So to complicate out pops this 3 thats looks nice interesting price supposedly good car.

But

The car is in Scotland, I am not going to Scotland just to check it out but if it goes further who could I ask to go and look at it if the discussion goes on with the owner?

Tony

Edited by Rem18

I could not be further from Scotland if I tried, living in Devon. Had I been nearer I would have gladly had a look at the car for you. One method is to contact a local independent vehicle insurance assessor and ask them to do an inspection for you. When I was doing that job we regularly did inspections and valuations for people. The other answer would be to to see if a local member would be willing to have a look at it for you. Good luck Chris.

Yes Chris thats the idea, to find a local expert pro or not obviously not expecting to get something for nothing. Peice of mind and all that.

I would prefer someone who is Tr3'd up though as even though I have a 5 and my dad a 6, but I wouldnt feel sure enough even myself to start.

I need to get the address first so then I can open a thread regards who might be near enough or even know the car.

For now the discussion was about getting a car for 'her indoors' to flash around town in, its since got complicated in the right way hahahahhaa

Up to now no-one actually came up with prices nowadays, I know its a 'how long is a piece of string question' maybe is it a trade secret, but would be good to know what a reliable reasonably tidy 2-3 might cost?

Tony

I could not be further from Scotland if I tried, living in Devon. Had I been nearer I would have gladly had a look at the car for you. One method is to contact a local independent vehicle insurance assessor and ask them to do an inspection for you. When I was doing that job we regularly did inspections and valuations for people. The other answer would be to to see if a local member would be willing to have a look at it for you. Good luck Chris.

Edited by Rem18

Cheers Chris. will certainly keep a note if the deal goes forward missus is still hot!

If anyone else recomends someone or wants to do a bit of moonlighting might be good?

In fact maybe there should be a list of people by area who could help people check out cars a bit like the old breakdown list.

T

Tony, here is one company that work all over the U.K. dealing mainly with classic cars www.classicassessments.com cheers Chris

Edited by Rem18

Where in Scotland as there are a few members up that way.

Stuart.

My wife is convinced she wants a TR 2-3.

I dont think I can afford it. I have offered here a Spitfire Mk1V.....

What prices are reasonable roadworthy LHD 2-3's fetching now?

Tony

Correct me if Im wrong but I got the impression that you are in the USA..............?

As someone else has said, hire or borrow a 2 or 3 and take your wife round the M25 near LHR ( London Heathrow Airport) in the rush hour or anytime really. Better still let her drive it in the same location, see if she still wants one after that.

Another good test of nerve is joining the M1 from the M25 in the direction of going to Birmingham in a TR terrifying.

Edited by SuzanneH