I​ need some advice as to how to repair the front hub on my TR2 .

​The car which I have owned and run for the last 28 years has suffered from a front wheel stud pulling out of the hub.

​This was compounded by me when I tapped out the resultant hole in the hub to 1/2 inch UNF thinking it was the right thing to do.

​Unfortunately the repair studs that I know of are available are a smaller diameter and therefore wont fit.

The car has steel wheels and drum brakes.

​My questions are:-

​1 Does anyone Know of a repair stud which would fit into a 1/2 UNF hole

2 Could a coil insert be used to repair the hole.

3 Is it possible to weld up the hole and re-drill and tap a new thread

​4 is it better to try to get a second hand hub.

​Your help would be appreciated.

I am off to Turkey for a week so I might not be able to reply if you need more information.

Ewan Henderson

Hi Ewan,

welcome to the forum. You should stop the thinking lark, it leads to trouble.

The helicoil drill for 7/16UNF is 29/32 - so that one is out.

Making a bespoke stud would be easy - it could be turned down from a large high tensile steel bolt

This could be a suitable donor https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/bolt-pivot-trunnion-to-lower-wishbone-139835.html?assoc=118570

Welding could work but may distort the hub.

Roger

Ewan,

You may be able to get a Time-Sert https://www.wurth.ie/media/downloads/pdf/short_form_catalogues/Timesert.pdf of the correct size to use in the hole you have in your hub and the repair stud from Revington TR https://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr1385/name/stud-wheel-repair-tr2-4 which is what I assume you have already.

I think I'd feel happier with a Time-Sert rather than a helicoil.

David

Edited by david ferry

There must be a replacement hub around somewhere, try talking to the usual suspects TR Shop, TR Trader TR Bitz etc.

Stuart.

Have you considered fitting a stud from the disc braked front hub? It is the correct thread size and has a splined shank to grip in the hub. You will need to get the diameter of the splined area to see if it will suit your hub hole.

The only issue may be that the stud does not have the larger diameter to locate the brake drum on That said you have 3 of that type fitted already plus the brake drum screws....You could turn up a simple collar if you are too fussed to slip over the stud and fit in the drum stud hole. - just Araldite in place to stop loosing it when brakes are serviced.

pt nos 114282 will find the standard one or 114282XL gets you the longer version.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?search_group=&q=114282

Cheers

Peter W

Thanks for the quick replies I am sitting at airport.looks like a time cert might work as the revington repair is an m12 depending in which thread pitch they use a 12.3 or 12.7 drill is needed for the insert.

Do you think there will be enought metal left on the hub flange.

Ewan

Hi Ewan,

when do you need it for?

Is this the stud that came out https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/stud-steel-wheel-100869.html?assoc=118388

I could knock you one up if you can't find one over the counter.

Roger

Blimey, £5.30 each!

Stuart.

3.24 inc vat for threaded

4.08 for stumpy wire adapter.

MG Leacy.

IMHO I would replace the hub unless very confident of repair done. Ain't worth the risk of buckled hub or rip out of stud

• 2 weeks later...

To update you all back from holiday yesterday to find a package containing new studs that Roger had manufactured a to fit my Hub and a spare damaged hub.
The only difference was the rescue stud had a deeper collar than the original stud I checked this in a trial fitting to confirm That it did not contact with the wheel nut and it was clear. Now the hub fitted and the car is back on the road for the good weather.
I tried to attach a Photo but I cant see how to do it.
Thanks to you all for your advice and getting me out of a tight spot I will now start to wear out the new tyres which getting fitted started this episode.

Ewan :D:D