Silly question probably and showing my ignorance but since the crack is between two water-ways and is constrained by the gasket which looks to have remained sealed, is that really a problem?

The crack isn't going to propagate as the existing holes prevent that.

Stuart, I had a crack in my trailing arm laser welded by a firm in Doncaster, they had some Aston Martin cylinder heads in the workshop they were working on, pretty impressive stuff and a very neat job on my TA! Let me know if you want more information, Andrew

We had a head stitch welded recently, happy to find details Monday for you? If not, I have a brand new head in stock

Tom

Silly question probably and showing my ignorance but since the crack is between two water-ways and is constrained by the gasket which looks to have remained sealed, is that really a problem?

The crack isn't going to propagate as the existing holes prevent that.

My first thought also. Depend whether there is structure beneath and how deep it goes.

Nick

An interesting thread and hopefully some news will be posted of a potential route to salvage the head. I say that because I've a spare head with a weld in the same location probably where a similar crack has been welded in the past. I was hoping to get it converted to unleaded and fitted to my car when time and money allow.

6612020333_179329641f_b.jpgIMG_9193

Paul

My previous comment was based on photo with no sign of cracking beyond the 2 x water way holes. I have similar head crack on my car for past 10 years.

If the head is to be worked on at all like valve seats, guiders or skimmed for other reason for sure make welding it part of overhaul .

chatting to a well respected Healey racer in the last 3 weeks and welding of a cracked head came up. He had just used a company that had lazer welded a cracked head with top results. I have seen ali heads repaired but not steel.

Will try to find out more detail of which company carried out the work as i have 2 low port heads with cracks.

Roy

For expert cast iron welding I recommend Fraser Brown Engineering of Nigg, Ross Shire. tel 01862 851600, www.fraserbrowneng.co.uk . Three years ago they repaired a crack in a valve throat on my original SAH type 'C' head, which many thought would be scrap.

Tim

post-9073-0-11294900-1527244367_thumb.jpg

We have used a place in burton upon Trent recently to stitch weld a head, will try and remember to get details when back in work....

OK Dave i aim to follow up on this next weekend. It was Bill Rawles of Healey fame who i believe you also know and he should be at Silverstone next weekend . If not he may well be at SPA with you.

Roy