• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cj79

cj79
  • TR Register Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:52 PM

Hi All,

I have a 1974 TR6 and just called my local garage to book an MOT. The owner informed me of the change in law which had completely passed me by. I've read up on it and i'm not sure I qualify. I fitted the telescopic shock absorber brackets in place of the lever arm version, this was to improve stability and in the exceptions on the .gov page it seems to be a bit of a grey area (in the exceptions to the exceptions bit). 

The rule is you don't qualify if you have made substantial changes to the vehicle namely in this case:

• Axles and running gear – alteration of the type and or method of suspension or steering constitutes a substantial change;

however there are exeptions:

• in respect of axles and running gear changes made to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance; 

- not strictly applicable I know..

• changes of a type, that can be demonstrated to have been made when vehicles of the type were in production or in general use (within ten years of the end of production);

- possible? I think it's fairly likely that the telescopic modification was in use within ten years of the end of production.. but can't be sure.

What does everybody think?

I have the original lever arm dampers in storage and could refit if need be, i'd rather not though i'll probably just keep MOTing it.

Cheers,
Chris

#2 Rem18

Rem18
  • 459 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:01 PM

I dont think telescopic shocks qualify as substantial change??

Edited by Rem18, 17 May 2018 - 06:29 PM.

#3 Rod1883

Rod1883
  • TR Register Members
  • 698 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:04 PM

There are a number of threads on this topic - do a search (box, top right).

Rear telescopics wouldn't, alone, be cause for concern I would have thought.

My view is get the car MOT'd anyway for all the reasons you will see in other threads.

#4 cj79

cj79
  • TR Register Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:24 PM

OK thanks for the feedback, (I did try and search initially but MOT was not allowed as a search term and MOT exemption came up with nothing). I'll get it MOT'd anyway as I would feel better to have done so.

Thanks again,
Chris

#5 Rod1883

Rod1883
  • TR Register Members
  • 698 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:26 PM

Chris

I don't think the search function allows just three letter words/terms.

Try searching "exemption" - that brings up quite a few related threads for me.

Rod

#6 Mk2 Chopper

Mk2 Chopper
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:49 PM

I think they are targeting heavily modified from original cars. In the end it will just come down to opinion what a substantial change is, but I don't see your telescopic shocks as being one myself.

#7 Rem18

Rem18
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:59 PM

Raleigh Chopper 3 speed, I had an Orange one. We need to start a special section here :ph34r:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users