Early TR2 - calling all experts

Rebuilding the original rear axle on my 2 and would like information and assistance.

Size of backplates and drums fitted to the early cars sub first 500. 9" or 10"

Were the wheel cylinders the same for both brake sizes?

I have had one of the studs in two brake shoe "abuttments" break due to dissimilar metal corrosion. Used all caution when doing this and it still broke!!!!

Are these the same on both 9" and 10" logically looking they should be!

Could do with one perhaps two of these, can anyone help out.?????????????

Looking on the Moss web site:

9inch rear drums were fitted up to TS5442, which is confirmed by my car which is number TS2453 and has 9in drums.

Wheel cylinders and abutments ran through to TS13045, so yes sounds like they should be interchangeable.

Sorry, don’t have any spares.

Martin

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for the information. I thought that mine should be 9" as that is what is fitted. But you never know. The axle serial number closely matches the EB number as on early cars.

Found the previously restored back plates with abuttments refurbished so I am OK now. will keep broken ones as I may be able to get them drilled and new studs fitted.

The TR2 Lockheed rear wheel cylinder bore was same 9" to 10".

The metal handbrake lever in the cylinder changes in shape between 9" and 10" - Interchangeable as a pair when fitted to an axle, so the handbrake remains balanced.

I have NOS brake abutments (same for 9" & 10" shoes) plus cylinders and handbrake levers for 10" shoe types.

PM if interested.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT