If you fancy something a little more social?

I'm on a number of other forums and ALL have problems with Facebook iterations where non fee paying Facebook users see no problem with mining and posting the various clubs and forums copyright material without permission on the Facebook pages.

There's no regard for the costs associated with running such forums and the various expertise and gathered wisdom of engaged members which is a voluntary contribution from all those who contribute, and worse there's no control. Those postings made upon Facebook are scattered to the world and "hosepiped" into the ether, with some the photos stolen and then posted to promulgate various scams promising that these cars are for sale which will and do appear on e bay and other auction sites.

I'm probably too much of a "stiff shirt" for todays modern world, and so although Facebook suits many other people I constrain myself to viewing and being sent unasked a stream of their photos of various restaurants and holidays from around the world. I hope all that use it find it engaging but it's not for me.

Mick Richards

Mick I only asked hahahahah.

Seriously I do understand but it is also nice to have social stuff, pictures, jokes and curiosities jaunts et al. The Tr5 FB page is by acceptance only in fact there is a debate on regards even accepting 250's etc and It will probably stay Tr5 only by invitation and it seems to be a tight group with close monitoring, so maybe some of your worries are addressed.

Much as you and maybe many dont like FB I think it does serve a purpose as a valve for the lighter elements and is maybe more appropriate to drawing younger members to the cars.

Tony

Hi Mick,

I was dead against FB for many, many years and I still have some issues with it, but when I joined the register and got involved with organising things for my group I signed up to FB at the same time, as a way of spreading information to group members who use it.

Recently I noticed that there were a number of general TR FB groups and some specific to 6s and 7s, but nothing for 5 owners, and so I created the one Tony mentioned. It is, as Tony says, more of a social group than anything else, although we do have members with expertise regarding the mechanical side of things. What I can assure you of is that I'd certainly not post copyrighted material in that group or any other, and I'd try to safeguard against others doing so. I try to be flexible in the group, but also keep a control on who has access, so I'd hope that none of our members will be scattering the photos of our cars, but of course we cannot always protect against that. If people want to find photos to use in scams, then they will and they'll find them much easier elsewhere than from our small group of 5 owners.

Whether it's liked or not, the world of communication is changing. It's clear to me that there are people who want to be part of online communities that have a social element based around a shared passion. It was why AtB was popular when we had it.

Even the nature of car clubs seems to be changing to some extent. I note that many of the bigger FB car groups are now organising events and members can be found with group stands at shows. I can see a danger of younger people who get into classics joining online clubs in preference to the clubs now, so it is something that current clubs need to consider.

Cheers, Darren

Edited by TR5tar

And lets not forget that 20 years ago we had to wait 4 weeks to get a mag or speak with a fellow overseas members.

With FB and a phone you can post a photo or a question and get an answer even at 4.00am or even maybe find a TR buddy near you while stuck in the dark.

all this hogwash regards stealing photos what does it mean?

I can go to any Tr meeting and photograph cars, number and commission plates et all if I want to fake stuff. I can even ask owners a few simple questions and create a whole case history.

What is all this paranoia?

Millennials use social and so should the old fuddy duddies if they want our TR's to live on... Todays kids are more likely to want to own a WRC or a Audi R8, so why would they want to buy let alone fake what they see as an old banger on funny wheels? :rolleyes:

Edited by Rem18

You see when I replied

I'm probably too much of a "stiff shirt" for todays modern world, and so although Facebook suits many other people I constrain myself to viewing and being sent unasked a stream of their photos of various restaurants and holidays from around the world. I hope all that use it find it engaging but it's not for me.

I thought I was allowed to express an opinion which was expressed politely... apparently not.

As an old fuddy duddy suffering from paranoia please allow me to congratulate you upon finding Facebook so absorbing, you have my permission to continue using it. but other than outlined previously I shall be restricting my use.

Have a nice day.

Mick Richards

Oh common Mickey dont take it like that... :rolleyes:
Just being tongue in cheek, really no offense meant so please dont take it as that, we are all here literally sitting in the same seat.

Each to his own, your quite entitled to your opinion. Just saying FB has its own area as its useful for posting social stuff and having a laugh, and as the title was '

If you fancy something a little more social?'

Chin up.

Tony

You see when I replied

I thought I was allowed to express an opinion which was expressed politely... apparently not.

As an old fuddy duddy suffering from paranoia please allow me to congratulate you upon finding Facebook so absorbing, you have my permission to continue using it. but other than outlined previously I shall be restricting my use.
Have a nice day.

Mick Richards

Oh common Mickey dont take it like that... :rolleyes:

Just being tongue in cheek, really no offense meant so please dont take it as that, we are all here literally sitting in the same seat.

Each to his own, your quite entitled to your opinion. Just saying FB has its own area as its useful for posting social stuff and having a laugh, and as the title was '

If you fancy something a little more social?'

Chin up.

Tony

No problem Tony, apology accepted.

Mick Richards

Mick I still stand by what I say though.

We do have to move a little with the times if we want to service the younger generation and pass the baton.

Dont think its all bad...Take a visit to the Tr5 page and see its just a little more light hearted but well managed and adds value to the service for owners...

T :rolleyes:

No problem Tony, apology accepted.

Mick Richards

I confess I am with Mick on this. Farcebook and Twatter are the work of the Devil IMHO - I avoid like the plague. If that makes me a paranoid fuddy-duddy so be it. I am happy with the forum and with e-mail as I consider that is no different than sending a letter, but this need to be connected at all times and sharing trivia leaves me cold.

(Whatever happened to British reserve and stiff upper lip? Gad Sir, the country has gone to the dogs.

Disgusted of Cheltenham. )

Dont think its all bad...Take a visit to the Tr5 page and see its just a little more light hearted but well managed and adds value to the service for owners...

T :rolleyes:

Tony, The TR5 facebook group is a closed group restricted to TR5 owners so we lesser mortals can't 'visit' the page.

Apparently TR250 owners are not welcome.

Graeme

Graeme profound apologies.

We have been debating what to do.

But why dont we start a 250/5 one along side.?

Brother in Arms....

Tony

Tony, The TR5 facebook group is a closed group restricted to TR5 owners so we lesser mortals can't 'visit' the page.

Graeme

Fair enough Rob.

tis nice to share a shot of a visit with your car and a drink and have a laugh too though.

T

I confess I am with Mick on this. Farcebook and Twatter are the work of the Devil IMHO - I avoid like the plague. If that makes me a paranoid fuddy-duddy so be it. I am happy with the forum and with e-mail as I consider that is no different than sending a letter, but this need to be connected at all times and sharing trivia leaves me cold.

(Whatever happened to British reserve and stiff upper lip? Gad Sir, the country has gone to the dogs.

Disgusted of Cheltenham. )

Hi Graeme,

I created the group in question, as mentioned above. From your message, I think it was you that asked to join, right? I did respond to you with a message saying that it was being discussed. I didn't want to be the owner of a group where I made all the decisions, so I asked other members about who should have access. Nearly everyone wanted to keep it to 5 owners only. I was one who said that I'd be happy to welcome 250 owners too. I'm sorry if the decision causes offense, as none was intended. I suppose really what is going on with our little group is no different from here on this forum, where people who do not pay are not welcome in certain chat areas.

I fully understand those that dislike FB and want nothing to do with it, I used to feel the same. I've no gripe with the view or people that hold it ... I've enough problems with others in my life.

As Tony says, perhaps consider starting a 250 group. Or, a 5 / 250 group? I can set one up if you'd like me to and make you admin. Alternatively, if you would still like to join us, we can I'm sure be a bit flexible. Let me know.

Best wishes,

Darren

Graeme

Sure they wouldn’t let me in either but I’ll not invite them to my Party at Lincoln.

Laurence .

But surely thats the point the FB group is a light thing in this case just for TR5 owners.

Here its about sharing problems and getting advise as well as more directed conversations regarding TR's.

The value here IMHO is immense.

Its chalk and cheese, this place has far more value for the real problems, the FB page is about photos of our cars and picnics. But it has its space and I think it is an option, doesnt seem necessary to think the FB is about spam and fake profiles as it isnt if properly moderated.

Tony

Edited by Rem18

I'm irrelevant having '250s ( though they'll blow the doors of the stock '5s ) but I will do my utmost to avoid FB ( Twitter, Instagram, What'sApp , etc. ad infinitum ) as long as I live, which could be another 4 decades+. So a tip of the hat to RobH and Mick R. ( Full disclosure: all those near and dear to me are all in, so they can let me know if anything important arises, which so far hasn't, and I do have to put up with regular sharing of nonsense from them. )

If you haven't looked up TR5passion.com there are some great pics there. Haven't been for a while but when I found it some pics of mine were added in the '250 gallery.

Cheers,

Tom

Darren, Tony,

Perhaps I should have included a smiley or two in my post. I was not upset or offended in anyway, life's too short. :P

I was just making the point that it was not possible to visit a closed group. :(

Cheers

Graeme

Now Now Tom none of this mines bigger than yours stuff :D

The TR5passion.com site is always nice but its only in French from what I remember and that limits it maybe a bit?

You need to keep up to date with technology Tony, if you have a computer you can read and post in whatever language you choose :P Lol.

Mick Richards

Hahaha Mick and to think I actually work in I.T.

But of course I can look at the page with Google translate I just meant its not set up as a page for various languages.

T

You need to keep up to date with technology Tony, if you have a computer you can read and post in whatever language you choose :P Lol.

Mick Richards