Diff Removal Fun

Hi Folks,

I planned to drop my diff this week and pop it into the workshop for a spring clean before heading off across the channel later in June.

The plan was to jack up the back of the car, disconnect the drive shafts, disconnect the prop. Remove 4 screws and Bob's your uncle.

Reality -

Remove wheels

having jacked it up I needed to jack it up further.

The exhaust needed to come off.

Remove drive shafts

remove the rear end of the prop.

I then had to make a cradle for the jack in order to lower the diff.

All these things were done and the diff is now in the boot of the Saab ready for tomorrow.

BUT -

Upon removal not all the diff dropped to the floor.

The offside front cup stayed put. It had broken from the front plate.

This has happened before and was welded back together. It looked good at the time and has lasted a fair few xxxxx miles.

I have rewelded it. This time I have prep'd the contact faces so the weld can penetrate into the thickness of the plate.

Fingers crossed.

Roger

So THAT was the annoying rattle ‘behind the dash’ then Roger !

I’ve had a fun afternoon removing old wiring bodges and fitting a marine grade 0v bus in the boot to earth everything nicely.

Steve

Roger, do you drop diffs just for fun? I have done it and it certainly was not fun. Why not put your feet up and read the paper for a change? You

have been quiet recently about the 4 rebuild so I am guessing it is 100 0/0 complete now.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

I transferred the TR4 from its winter car cave to home last week and will re-start the investigation into why the pax door will not close properly

99% there.

Hi Marco,

there is something not right at the back of the car. So before it breaks on a French country lane I will sort it out.

The garage are quite knowledgeable about how they will attack the diff.

Off with the back plate, blue the teeth and go from there. All the seals need changing due to excessive oil everywhere.

Off to the garage in a mo.

Roger

When you have fixed it tell me why your pax door did not shut properly as my driver's door is the same and it will save me a load of time. (Done all the obvious)

On a different subject: I need to do my cylinder head: lead free seats/ new guides and valves. Do you know of a good machine shop near us?

Simon

Hi Roy,

strangely enough although the diff is 75% covered in oil the nearside upper half is very rusty.

I have removed and repainted a number of times but a thick rusty crust soon re-appears.

I'll have another go at it when it comes back.

Roger

When you have fixed it tell me why your pax door did not shut properly as my driver's door is the same and it will save me a load of time. (Done all the obvious)

On a different subject: I need to do my cylinder head: lead free seats/ new guides and valves. Do you know of a good machine shop near us?

Simon

Simon,

Not exactly "near" you, but Classic and Modern in Bracknell are good and well priced.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. Bracknell is not exactly the other side of the moon for us Kentish folk, I will give them a call. Your hobbies mirror mine pretty much to a t. Only difference was I was persuaded last year to play cricket for the first time in 15 years. This is my second year out of retirement. You

should have a game. We are always one short! Playing Englefield Green next week, that would be nearer for you than me.

Simon

I have to say that the 'If it aint broke thing' is not a bad idea.

Everytime before a burn (I used to organise a 50 alpine passes in 5 days jaunt. soon to return) I started touching stuff and invariably after whatever gave jip during the jaunt was connected to what I had touched.

I was just mentioning in a FB page today that when I bought my 5 25 years ago I was thinking about a full restoration, but instead I just started driving it and fixing/updating as needed. 5's were rare and at the time I thought that at worst I could buy another and sell mine, but then my wife started getting attached and now it cant be sold.

25 years later still here. If I had done the restoration the way I drive it would have needed another 2 since anyway hahahahaha

Hi Marco,

there is something not right at the back of the car. So before it breaks on a French country lane I will sort it out.

The garage are quite knowledgeable about how they will attack the diff.

Off with the back plate, blue the teeth and go from there. All the seals need changing due to excessive oil everywhere.

Off to the garage in a mo.

Roger

Roger,

sorry me and my very bad englisch,

"something not right of the back (of the car)" is a reason for a repair,

but according to post #1 I can not assume that, I realised "works but any why he wants to have it nicer".

Sorry again :)

Marco

Hi Marco/Rem,

yes, the first post does sound as thouigh I am dropping the diff simply for something to do.

There is a fairly loud humming/rumble.

The hubs are only 1 year old - so am happy it is not them.

Checked the 4 driveshaft UJ's (2 are apprx 1 year old) and they feel very nice.

Will drop the propshaft to morrow as the UJ's there are been on for quite some time.

I'm glad I dropped the diff as the front off side mount was no longer attached.

Roger

Thanks Geoff. Bracknell is not exactly the other side of the moon for us Kentish folk, I will give them a call. Your hobbies mirror mine pretty much to a t. Only difference was I was persuaded last year to play cricket for the first time in 15 years. This is my second year out of retirement. You

should have a game. We are always one short! Playing Englefield Green next week, that would be nearer for you than me.

Simon

Simon - I've sent you a PM.......................Geoff

If you were at Hardy's on Monday why did you not pop in for a beer cup of tea. ?

I'm just round the corner (well several corners actually, but not far)

Bob.

Hi Bob,

I did pop round the corner and knocked on the first door and asked if Bob lived there - he said 'No'.

I gave up after the fourth corner. People were pulling back curtains watching me walk down the street.

Roger

Hi Bob,

I gave up after the fourth corner. People were pulling back curtains watching me walk down the street.

Roger

Thats the hat Roger - not the door knocking

Hi Folks,

I collected the diff yesterday. Thankfully the workshop kept to their time schedule.

I need to fit the diff today to put some miles on it before a lengthy June tour.

The workshop could not find anything wrong apart from oil leaks and a worn input pinnion. The oil seal contact surface was badly worn. This will be one oil

leak sorted.

The internals all loked in very good order.

Although they did not find the source of the noise I'm glad I dropped the diff because I would probably not found the broken front plate otherwise.

So in a short while I'll just pop it back in :wacko:

Whilst the diff was out I decided to inspect/change the UJ's on the prop & drive shafts.

The outer drive shaft UJ's were changed last year and the inners felt very good - so these were not changed.

The propshaft UJ's had bone 50+K miles so I decided to change them. When I removed the caps the bearing surfaces on the central X were in perfect condition.

Previously I had change these UJ's a number of times in short succession. The needles would cock over and wear the central bearing with some strange angles indentation. I have kept these good used ones for a rainy day and fitted the new ones. These come from a Landrover parts supplier and are made by hardy Spicer.

AND not expensive.

The driveshafts have been in a fair few years and the splines felt very good - these are the Proptech Kidderminster items.

Roger