Door frame bottom repair

Hi all

While replacing the inner/outer sills I noticed that the bottom of the door frames are in need of repair. The prevoius owner has replaced both the door skins so looks good on the outside but it won't be long before the rusting frame ruins the result later on.

I looked at the usual suspects with regard to repair panels and there seems to be none available unlike for other classics. Has anyone have any experience of repairing the frame without the need to remove the skin? Could the lower lip be bent back and the repair done?

Thanks all

Andy

Hi Andy,

it seems incredible that someone would go to the trouble of fitting a new door skin but not repair the rusty frame at the same time.

I'm sure Stuart will be along to advise, but I would have thought that it is possible to carefully fold back the flange on the door skin and repair the frame. An old flat screwdriver with the head bent over at 90 degrees is useful for opening flanges like this. The flange may have been tack welded or spot welded to the frame so look out for that.

I had to repair both of my door frames but on one I removed and replaced the skin and on the other I replaced the bottom 4 inches of the skin.

Cheers

Sean

post-12473-0-08303800-1526159999_thumb.jpg

Thanks Sean for the screwdriver trick.

Agree a daft idea of a bodge.

Out of interest what gauge steel did you use? I suspect 18 gauge will be difficult to use here.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

if you decide to fold back the return on the door skin place a solid block on the door skin to reduce any distortion.

18SWG is nice to work with, assuming you can bend it etc. If it is thicker that the original skin make sure that where the door skin contacts it it is flush.

The corners may be brazed to hold them.

Roger

Its relatively easy to do and yes a bent screwdriver will help to lift the edge but be careful you dont distort the outer skin. Best to only lift the lip to 90 degrees so you can remove the rotten part, use some Bondarust between when you fit the repair section too. I always use 18SWG for all panel repairs as its much stronger, easier to weld and matches in with most of the original better.

Stuart.

Thanks all for the input and "tips".

Regards

Andy