Registration/Manufacture Year. Advice required

Good day,

Have just received the Heritage Cert for my 1967 TR4A car purchased from USA. Car at last at Felixstowe customs following an incredibly long, slow and complicated journey across the water from New York. Travelled via Baltimore, Norfolk, Savannah then Bremerhaven before reaching Felixstowe.

Heritage Cert say car built in Oct 1966. Not surprisingly the Texas title says car first registered in 1967.

ADVICE REQUIRED : When I come to register the car, will DVLA give me a'66 plate E reg or will they give me a '67 plate F ?

Or do I have any say in the matter and if so, is there any benefit in me choosing '66 or '67. perhaps in future value or originality.

Many thanks, David B

David,

F reg wasn't introduced until Aug/Sept '67. E reg was Jan - Aug 1967, so your car should have a D reg which was Jan - Dec 1966.

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by graeme

DVLA can become confused sometimes. My 4A is 1966. USA registration 1967. Given F reg. This had already happened when I bought the car. I would speak to them before submitting paperwork.

Alan.

My 4A came back from USA built 10th Oct 66, shipped 22nd Oct 66, DVLA have given it a D reg plate.

Paul

Graeme, Aah, I had thought that suffix letters changed at year end but now see they did a mid year shuffle as you advise and E is early 67. But will DVLA recognise that first registration would be in 1967 and give me a E.

Alan, I will speak to DVLA but my thoughts are - is their any benefit in me persuading DVLA to give me a later reg letter, ie E. Car value, authenticity ?? After all, registration letter usually refers to first registration date not build date.

David B

In my experience, the DVLA look at year of first registration by default. If you want it registered as 1966, you should forward proof of date of manufacture and include correspondence stating that you would like the vehicle registered as 1966.