Idle Timing with Strobe

I have only ever set the timing statically with a meter or bulb and then driving the thing.

Get it set mark the distributor with some tipex and get in the car.

Same with metering unit, but I live in an area with different altitudes therefore vacuum changes. :rolleyes:

Edited by Rem18

Colin,

I set now mine at 11'ish, then take car out to a steep'ish hill and drive up with engine 2000-2500 revs and listen for pinking. Then adjust timing vernier wheel so there is just no pinking.

The use strobe again and read off the timing and that is the best setting for my PI. Its best at 11 BTDC.

As I have electronic points the timing does not move. Traditional points wear down as they wear and the timing changes a little.

Many reports of the timing marks not being accurate on the cars as the crankshaft pully rubber ages so a road test is the best way to go.

Alan

I just mark the 10 Deg BTC point on the crankshaft pulley and the pointer with white chalk, connect up the strobe , run the engine at about 800 rpm to make sure the centrifugal advance doesn't kick in and rotate the distributer body until the white points align.

Watch out for the fan as it will appear stationary in the strobe light.

Then try and creep the timing forward until you can just hear pinking - as described above.

My engine is probably 11 degrees or so advanced.

10-12 degrees is generally about right, assuming the crank pully actually lines up.....

I made a tdc tool and checked my pulley marks, they were 8 degrees out of alignment!

I had adjusted the timing for best running as above, and timing marks were showing 19 or so.

I fitted new crank damper, from Tom in the US, and measured tdc which aligned exactly with the tdc mark on the pulley, set timing to 10 and all is running well.

Steve

And when I have the timing light hooked up I normally rev the engine and check the timing advances another 20 degrees or so.

Indeed.

When planning to install the 123tune+ i ran the engine at 500rmp intervals and read off the timing.

This allowed me to program the 123tune+ with exactly the same timing throughout the rev range as the old distributor.

The only error factor would be the tacho which i think over read, hence i may have a little more advance than i think i have...

Steve

By no means an expert so please bear with me. The throttle bodies have been reconditioned and haven't coked up yet. Tickover at original timing was about 1400 rpm. It's now down to around 1100 rpm. I think this will have an effect on timing with strobe. It will probably be a week or two before tickover is around 800 rpm. Is there a figure I can set timing to at say 1400 rpm? Dissy rebuilt by DD?

Thanks,

Colin

The BB says 8-12 degrees of advance at 1700 rpm. So for starters I'd set it at 18-22 degrees on the crankshaft pulley at 1700 rpm.

I'd still check it and maybe advance it a little until I could just hear light pinging on WOT at low engine speeds.