Hi, any 123 dizzy gurus out there?

My 6 cp has a fast road cam, sports exhaust with extractor manifold, The Ballast resistor is disconnected???

When the 123 was fitted it worked great for the first 250miles then it started misfiring. Returned same to makers and no fault found but out of courtesy the pcb was changed, 250 miles further down the road the same occurred, I know if they get a spike they shut down as a protective measure for a while.

Also does anyone have the definitive curve setting.

Any ideas please!!!!

cheers

Frank

Hi Frank,

it took me a lot of tests to get a good curve setting. Between bad and good curve you have about 8 BHP and easily 10 Nm difference.

Do you have a 123Tune?

My curve settings

500 - 12

1000 - 16

1600 - 21

2000 - 23

2600 - 28

3000 - 30

MAP Advance not required since I am driving with a Kent 270 cam. 10 CR.

I need more engine details.

With 123 Tune no ballast wire is required. My coil has 1.5 Ohm. Do not use ballast resistor! What coil do you have?

Jochem

if you want to chat, send me PM with phone or mail.

My 6 cp has a fast road cam, sports exhaust with extractor manifold, The Ballast resistor is disconnected???

When the 123 was fitted it worked great for the first 250miles then it started misfiring. Returned same to makers and no fault found but out of courtesy the pcb was changed, 250 miles further down the road the same occurred, I know if they get a spike they shut down as a protective measure for a while.

Any ideas please!!!!

cheers

Frank

Hi Frank,

If its a CP car then it has no ballast resistor is wired into the loom as standard.

Ballast resistor wiring was only used on a CR car, so your CP needs a 12v coil identifiable by a 3 Ohm reading across low voltage terminals on the coil,

If it reads1.5 Ohm or thereabouts then you may have the wrong coil which will deteriate over time when fed with 12v from your LT ignition.

Simple check worth ruling out.

regrds

Bob

Thanks for your swift reply,

My 123 is the bog standard manually set type.

I am running a Kent TH5 fast road cam 280

A New Lucas Gold sports coil 3 Ohm mounted on the inner wing away from the engine, Magnicor H.T. leads using NGK BP 5 ES plugs(unleaded engine) and static timing is set at 11 degrees BTDC.

Compression is 205 across all six cylinders, fuel pump delivers 110psi and the spray pattern is v.good. No air leakage anywhere.

Fitting a points distributor 22D6 the car is a dream, if only my 123 would perform likewise.

cheers

Frank

Hi Frank,

If its a CP car then it has no ballast resistor is wired into the loom as standard.

Ballast resistor wiring was only used on a CR car, so your CP needs a 12v coil identifiable by a 3 Ohm reading across low voltage terminals on the coil,

If it reads1.5 Ohm or thereabouts then you may have the wrong coil which will deteriate over time when fed with 12v from your LT ignition.

Simple check worth ruling out.

regrds

Bob

Cheers Bob, you found me out, My car is actually a CF converted to CP, in all respects.

kind regards

Frank

Thanks for your swift reply,

My 123 is the bog standard manually set type.

I am running a Kent TH5 fast road cam 280

A New Lucas Gold sports coil 3 Ohm mounted on the inner wing away from the engine, Magnicor H.T. leads using NGK BP 5 ES plugs(unleaded engine) and static timing is set at 11 degrees BTDC.

Compression is 205 across all six cylinders, fuel pump delivers 110psi and the spray pattern is v.good. No air leakage anywhere.

Fitting a points distributor 22D6 the car is a dream, if only my 123 would perform likewise.

cheers

Frank

Setting B is good for a 6.

Stuart.

Any ideas please!!!!

cheers

Frank

Fault with rota arm, i.e. tracking?

Frank,

any update?

Jochem

Hi JochemsTR

Alternator kicking out recommended 14vdc, as 123 has max voltage of 15vdc I am building a voltage regulator to latch a relay if any voltage spikes appear. Once installed it will monitor alternator output and indicate any abnormalities( I hope)

Hi Jochem

123 dizzy, no spike detected yet but I have found buried on the 123ignition website a warning to avoid using a Lucas Gold or Sports coil which is what I have. I am now awaiting a new BERU ZS109, this should do the trick.

frank

Hi Jochem

123 dizzy, no spike detected yet but I have found buried on the 123ignition website a warning to avoid using a Lucas Gold or Sports coil which is what I have. I am now awaiting a new BERU ZS109, this should do the trick.

frank

I was advised against the ‘gold’ coils which i had previously, and bought the beru coil with the 123tune+

It’s working fine, the car is running great and perhaps a little smother than on the previous optronic setup?

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for inspiring confidence.

From my research on 123 ignition system so far, I don't think there are too many people around who are truly knowledgeable of the pitfalls associated with this type of system.

Certainly the garages in my area don't like them( or maybe they don't like me?).

It does beg the question that the Classic Sports Car Garage which originally fitted my 123 dizzy did not recommend a change of coil, maybe that is why they could not get it running on another car and sent it back to the manufacturers?

cheers

Frank

Hi Frank

When my Beru coil arrived it said on the box ‘for ballast system’ or similar.

So i spoke to the 123 people in holland and they assured me this was still the best coil to use in a non-ballast system

Time will tell!

For any long trips i’ll carry the old distrib with point for emergency fitment !

Steve

Anyone know why the gold Lucas coil is not used?

Anyone know why the gold Lucas coil is not used?

Not to put too fine a point on it the current offerings are sh1t and dont last long. The 123 needs a stable supply

Stuart.