Electrical component question

I am looking for the correct name of a component - poor brain can't think of it.

I think I upset my satnav in the TR as the voltage from the battery probably fluctuated too much for it. I know there is a component which will limit / adjust the input of 13 to 16 volts to a constant output of 12v,

If anyone can recommend any particular ones, I would be appreciative.

Many thanks Duncan

I think its a capacitor.

Paul

You are thinking of a regulator Duncan. There are two types available - analogue and switching. An analogue regulator is simple but needs to 'drop' a reasonable amount of voltage in order to operate. 16 to 12 is reasonable but 13 to 12 is probably too close a margin for most simple regulators to function. A boost-buck regulator will do what you want and these have been discussed in previous topics on this forum.

This is an example and you will probably find a similar unit at a cheaper price on e-bay. This will take any varying input voltage between 5v and 22v and is adjustable to provide any constant output voltage between 6 and 24 volts.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MagiDeal-Adjustable-Regulator-Stabilizer-Rectifier/dp/B074686XST/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1525982116&sr=1-8&keywords=12+volt+boost-buck+regulator

Having said that, I am surprised your sat-nav is unhappy. I assume you are driving it from a cigar-lighter plug-in lead which will have a regulator in it already. Most sat-navs actually operate on 5volts and the plug-in lead drops the car supply to that level and should be able to cope with minor voltage fluctuations.

Edited by RobH

Having said that, I am surprised your sat-nav is unhappy. I assume you are driving it from a cigar-lighter plug-in lead which will have a regulator in it already. Most sat-navs actually operate on 5volts and the plug-in lead drops the car supply to that level and should be able to cope with minor voltage fluctuations.

I would also be very surprised if the 12 to 5V converter you are using to power the satnav could not handle any normal car generated voltage.

Bob.

Possibly not the DC voltage but vehicles are full of high-voltage "spikes" arising from switching of wound and therefore inductive components.

These spikes are hard to suppress, they contain quite a lot of energy. A bit more than a few bypass capacitors is often required.

When I put new brushes in the heater fan on a modern Vauxhall I found it had dual LC filter-sections. You never see this on classic vehicle components because there was no need.

Hi Duncan

The voltage stabiliser on the TR6 gives a steady 10 volts or you could use a map, reliable and not subject to voltage fluctuations.

Cheers

Richard

Unless you have a modern electronic instrument voltage regulator it is not steady 10v. It uses a heated bimetallic strip arrangement which pulses the 12v giving an average of 10v as interpreted by the gauges which themselves have heated bimetallic strips.

Many thanks all, I probably took the wiring straight off the battery (with an inline fuse). The satnav does not work off the computer, which is why I think I fried it. I did like the old girl, she only sent me the wrong way occasionally, always after a period of non use.

I was talking to someone at the weekend, and he had a TR6 with EFI, he had some sort of voltage stabiliser across the battery terminals to stop a spike frying his ECU. Don't ask me what it was called.

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent

I was talking to someone at the weekend, and he had a TR6 with EFI, he had some sort of voltage stabiliser across the battery terminals to stop a spike frying his ECU. Don't ask me what it was called.

Rgds Ian

Ian

I think it is called Bob

Many thanks all, I probably took the wiring straight off the battery (with an inline fuse). The satnav does not work off the computer, which is why I think I fried it. I did like the old girl, she only sent me the wrong way occasionally, always after a period of non use.

Hi Duncan,

a year ago last January I bought a dash cam. Fitted it tot he 4A and had about 10ft of cable left over.

I have a fair few of the accessory plugs. So, shortened the cable attached the plug and fried the dash cam. :o

It was then that I read the very small writing on the original plug 12V in, 5V out - it isn't just a plug, it is a regulator.

There are no warnings on the NextBase packaging/box and a simple mention in the paperwork in small print. But i accept it was my fault.

I went back to Halfords and explained what happened - they were not interested.

I mentioned that the plug is not a plug but a regulator - the chap admitted he did not know that.

The sadest thing is when I reported this here last year some bright spark jumped in and said 'of course it is 5V it is a USB- ner, ner, ner'

All very well if you know what that or they are.

Roger

You can buy a cigar lighter adaptor with up to two USB 5 volt outputs. If you have a Maplins near you go and have a look before they finally close down as they are selling this type of thing at sale prices.

Dave