TR4A wheel boxes for wipers

tr4a fault finding

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aleda

aleda
  • TR Register Members
  • 159 posts
  • Cars Owned::TR2, TR3,TR3A, Frogeye Sprite,Triumph Herald 13/60, BMW2002, TR4A

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:08 PM

Hi Troops - thank you Roger for earlier advice re wheel boxes, delved deeper and the wheel boxes appear to be in quite good condition, checked back through the car bills and found a receipt from '87 for 2 new ones, bearing in mind the car is rarely driven in rain the wheel boxes have been hardly used.
The problem with drivers side wiper is the over large hole in the bodywork that the the wheel box comes through. I attach a photo.
She is in my garage with dashboard out, anyone else had this problem? any thoughts on an easy repair? The other wiper is fineAttached File  image.jpeg   118.14KB   1 downloads
Would appreciate your feedback

Christine
PS got new dashtop from TR Shop - it really is very good, I've been recommended to get new crash pads now but I seem to remember reading that they're obsolete? Got a new switch plinth but I'd rather refurb the existing if that's possible?
Christine in Essex

#2 RogerH

RogerH
  • TR Register Members
  • 21,504 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:23 PM

Hi Christine,

possible good news on the left hand grab handle dash pad. These are being looked at by two companies. One in the US and one in the UK.

Regarding your wiper spindle hole.

Is it possible to make the hole bigger :o  and then let in/weld in a patch with the correct hole in it .

Roger

Time is a drug - Too much will kill you
Forgive your enemy, but remember the ass-hole's name.
never surrender, never give up and always balance your butterflies

Veni Vidi Flati
TR4A - July 1967 daily driver         2010 RBRR No.22  2014 RBRR No.69
TR4 - March 1962 transforming like the proverbial caterpillar - it's now Royal Blue and now with the chromy bits.

#3 peejay4A

peejay4A
  • TR Register Members
  • 7,441 posts
  • Cars Owned::TR4A (Eric) current
    TR6 (CP) gone
    TR4 (frying tonight) long gone

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:49 PM

It looks as though it has been slack for quite a while and the wobbling about has enlarged the hole. I suppose a bodge with a couple of large washers might be possible but it is a welding job for my money.
Pete 

#4 AlanT

AlanT
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:56 PM

Please note that these holes were NOT originally round.  There is a notch to accomodate the feed-pipe for the washer-jet.

I can't tell from the photo how much enlargement there is around this hole.

Compare with the other side and you may be able to work this out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tr4a, fault finding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users