Advice on MX5 Seats

Hi All.

After all the positive reviews on here on MX5 seats I'm going to try and purchase a pair for my latest restoration but the thing is there seems to be a few different models of seat so which is the best model to go for?

Regards

Dex

If you have a 'Surrey top' car then the Mk1 seats can look nice, and you have the option of fitting speakers in the head rests, but if its a soft top then as Dave has already stated then my preference would be a seat from a Mk2, as per the attached photo. Whatever you get, make sure when you get them they come with runners as they are not easy to find separately and when they do come up can be expensive. I managed to find a leather set and then purchased a reconditioning kit to tidy them up a lot cheaper than having them recovered, can also be useful to cut the seat belt brackets off the runners as well, gives a little more 'wiggle' room when fitting the seats. If you want more 'rake's to the seat squab then fit longer 8 mm bolts to the front runner to seat base fixing and install 20-25mm spacer.

Sorry just seen where you posted this (TR6 Forum) so guessing your not going to have a 'Surrey' :)

post-7429-0-50052500-1525864833_thumb.jpg

Edited by Graham

Not sure why the separate headrests is still in the race, nobody ever remove them and the few who intend to use the tonneau have it customized with pockets welcoming the headrests.

Not sure why the separate headrests is still in the race, nobody ever remove them and the few who intend to use the tonneau have it customized with pockets welcoming the headrests.

You can use the separate Headrest Seats with either of the Tonneau Covers thats why they are the better option also they look more in keeping with the old seat style,from one who has the Tombstone Seats fitted in a TR6. Edited by TR NIALL

Don't in my opinion............. look horrible and not correct.

Alan G

you may also want to look for a heated set?

Good point I found a diy kit on line quite easy to fit just the in car wiring a bit of a pain.

Thanks to everyone who replied all I need to do now is find a pair in good condition, not bothered about speakers or heated. Paul Bishop comes as highly recommended but the trouble there is he's pick-up only and he's way down the other end of the country from me so will see if I can locate a pair nearer to home. Thanks again

Regards

Dex

Thanks to everyone who replied all I need to do now is find a pair in good condition, not bothered about speakers or heated. Paul Bishop comes as highly recommended but the trouble there is he's pick-up only and he's way down the other end of the country from me so will see if I can locate a pair nearer to home. Thanks again

Regards

Dex

Hi Dex

He shipped mine for me. He did a great job on the upholstery, and even once you locate a pair they might still need work doing to the padding, bolsters or trim.

Kevin

Hi Dex

He shipped mine for me. He did a great job on the upholstery, and even once you locate a pair they might still need work doing to the padding, bolsters or trim.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I'll give him a ring.

Dex

These guys would be closer to you and they do the seats. http://www.mx5city.com/

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, I've checked them out, not cheap and also they seem to be on an exchange only basis, as I only have my old Triumph seats I fear its a no go, but thanks anyway.

Dex

Thanks Stuart, I've checked them out, not cheap and also they seem to be on an exchange only basis, as I only have my old Triumph seats I fear its a no go, but thanks anyway.

Dex

See if your local breakers have seats to start as they probably wont be too dear then you have something to exchange.

Stuart.

My understanding is that that seats to use are the Mk 1 or "NA" model ('89-'97). Succeeding models got bigger, and I imagine the seats did also. I have NA seats in my '6 NA and they are a snug fit - maybe later versions fit, but I didn't want to gamble. In any case, I found a pair inc the rails on Craigslist, had a cover kits made to match the new interior I was installing. Added headrest speakers. They're great bang for the buck in them of comfort and usability. They also have a decent head restraint, which the originals didn't have

Hi Dex, I got Mark 1 mx5 seats from E bay and used the Tr trader seat brackets for an easy instillation. You can watch the MX5 owners club forums as a guest, there is a for sale section. Your local area has its own site at www.mx5northwest.co.uk perhaps a request to the area leads might bring some leads.

Richard

Hi Dex, I got Mark 1 mx5 seats from E bay and used the Tr trader seat brackets for an easy instillation. You can watch the MX5 owners club forums as a guest, there is a for sale section. Your local area has its own site at www.mx5northwest.co.uk perhaps a request to the area leads might bring some leads.

Richard

Thanks Richard good idea I'll check it out

Dex