So trying to keep the pages busy for spring here is another one :D

Some vicious person banged my boot with a hammer and I got a 1p paint chip in the middle of the boot.

As a stop gap and as in the past with another car I had very good results filling chips and the likes so before having it sprayed I am filling the chip with paint and 1500 grading it down after for now to see.

I had some tiny flaking around a boot hinge as well where its probably rubbed/levered over the years.

There are some rather stiff and tired looking bits of rubber as gaskets that look like inner tube strips. They are however probably original as there looks like original paint on them.

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions what to replace with, I would have to order something from the UK if there is not a suggestion regards what to use.

T

Yes I know what that is of course.

But Roger are you saying gasket paper is the original?

Mine seems to have black rubber like inner tube.

What do other members have?

T

If you have an engineering workshop near you they may have some gasket material.

This sort of stuff https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-x-Assorted-gasket-paper-sheets-klingerite-type-pack/251932370149?hash=item3aa856e4e5:g:vgMAAOSwBahVOhkp

Easily cut to shape.

Roger

The original was not gasket paper - I suggested that as you seemed not to want to order the correct item from the UK etc.

The original was not far off a black thick gasket paper. I would not call it rubber as it is more fibrous.

Roger

Ok Roger. looking more closely now you've said that its a strange material like some sort of rubber about 1.5mm thick. It just seems a bit distorted and dry and slightly smaller than the hinges. I might try to revitalise it with some wd40 or simply cut some inner tube and use gasket paper too/or with the old material.

Originally it was a fibrous type of material, the problem you will find with using rubber is it tends to squeeze outwards as you do it up tight.

Stuart.

Yes its a strange material a cross between rubber, plastic and cloth.

I do inderstand rubber would spread but figured its worth a try, inner tubes are quite hardy, i figured that if I cut ever so slightly on tyhe small side it might work then I can tighten hinges up and mark any oversized bits and refine.

If iit doesnt work I would put the original bits back.

You have me thinking Mike.

Many black containers like 5ltr oil and chemicals are of a fairly rigid plastic that might work.

Why not try using some thick (heavy guage) semi rigid black plastic like polyethelene?

That doesn't squeeze out like rubber.

Look around for an old plastic bottle etc - recycle!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...