I have just finished the monumental task of putting in a new dashboard and rewiring in part. I went out for a test drive today and everything was OK except the speedo, which was rock solid before I stripped everything out, is now wavering about 2 or 3/10 of and inch,enough to be quite annoying. Has anyone got any ideas of how to fix this before I take it out to try and rectify the problem.

Thanks in anticipation.

Gordon D

Is the speedo cable fully engaged?

Make sure the cable has a nice straight run into the speedo, & as said above check that it is fully screwed in.

Failing that maybe it needs some lubrication.

Bob.

That sort of behavior usually happens because the inner cable binds and then springs back into life, once per revolution.

+1 for the suggestions above.

99% certain it will be cable related.

Charlie.

I have this problem too. My setup (lhd) is very difficult to correct - I maintain that the cable supplied (96") is a little too long to avoid slight bends, especially between engine and firewall.

I am also having a minor battle with my favourite supplier at the moment as I discovered that the white nylon collar that I think is supposed to fix the position of the inner cable within the outer, is split and thus slides up and down, as was the replacement that was supplied and the others in their parts bin. I maintain that this may be responsable for the problem. Have a look at yours.

I have super glued mine for the moment, but the needle still waves to me especially around the 60mph/ 100kph mark

James

Thank you one and ALL. Spot on! Took the steering wheel off so I could grovel on my back under the dash. Managed to get my fingers to the speedo collar ( wish I had 6 inch fingers with a grip line a vice ) all undone twiddled the inner cable around a tadge, re-engaged it and screwed up the collar. Went for a test drive just now......Hey Presto..solid as a rock as before.

Thanks for your link Don. Very informative.

What would we do without the forum to solve our little problems.

Cheers

Gordon