Hi. Ive never had the hood up on my car but decided last night to give It a go. What a PITA! Its nearly an inch short of the pins dropping into the header rail. I did manage it in the end by pulling and tugging on the the hinge arms. Result it is drum tight!

It looks like a new canvas/mohair type and probably was a good fit prior to the chassis being changed by a P.O.

Ill leave it up for a couple of weeks to see if it gives at all, but is there any thing else worth considering doing?

Dave

Hi Dave,

As already mentioned If it's Vinyl, fan heater inside with windows closed for 20 mins.

If Mohair/Double Duck, spray with water from plant sprayer, if water beads off you could try adding a little washing up liquid, dry naturally, if windows are creased then use fan heater as per vinyl once dry. You could use Renovo hood restorer for the Mohair type which would also work by wetting the fabric.

For the Mohair/Double duck you could also just leave it out in the rain !

Regards,

John

Hi Dave, my double duck hood goes like that if left down for some weeks or if put away wet, I never do that any more as it shrank the webbing, worth checking the webbing as it could be holding the hood back. If it is the webbing then new loops can be added at rear to lengthen it or replace with new. In cold weather I put heater on in garage and let it get nice and warm for 2/3 hours then it's ok.

Chris

Ah ok thanks gents... I’ve never put the hood up since I got the car. So no wonder it was such a struggle! I’ll leave it up for now whilst I’m at work and away, hopefully it will stretch a bit. I noticed one of the web straps underneath is detached I’ll sort that next week!

Ian

Remove the two x two screws which hold the webbing to the rear hoop. Easier to erect the hood with that hoop forward, then when up, push the hoop back as far as you can to tension the hood.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion, it was one of the options I considered but in the end I went for a very slightly slacker tension on the hood. Having said that, I still have to use the articulated knee joint in the roof frame to fit the hood if it hasn't been up for a while and it's a bit cold. I also leave the hood up when the car isn't being used in winter when the roads have been salted.

I have a heavy duty PVC hood and Everflex tonneau. (Everflex is a heavy duty canvas). If I was doing it again I would go for an Everflex hood, it's not OEM but as a material it is just be so much easier to handle.

Rgds Ian

A word of caution.

If your hood is really that tight you need to be mindful that it can contract and pull the frame off the screen!!!!

I suggest that you release tension overnight till it relieves and tension up through the day if warm. If not you can end up with a bent frame off the glass at best, at worst a cracked screen.

A word of caution.

If your hood is really that tight you need to be mindful that it can contract and pull the frame off the screen!!!!

I suggest that you release tension overnight till it relieves and tension up through the day if warm. If not you can end up with a bent frame off the glass at best, at worst a cracked screen.

Hhmmm good point, although in my case it won’t be a cracked screen it’ll be a shattered one. It’s still the original toughened triplex glass.

I shall go take a look!