Just changed the oil, just some Castrol Classic but as always from fresh oil I have nearly 6 bar at tick over, 6bar at 1200rpm and 7bar at 2500rpm.

Truth is I have 5b even with hot running at tick over on old oil.

I have never worried about too much oil pressure as its been 25 years of hard driving since I fitted the oil radiator which even saved me once when I drove though town in traffic to discover I had no water in the radiator...

20,000miles ago when I dropped the sump the bearings were brill.

But I do wonder about the dipstick and if the notches are right as the dipstick was ground at some stage.

So wondering, Is 5L of oil right in a car with a long spin on and an oil rad?

Tony

post-15150-0-74006800-1524838789_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rem18

Hi Tony

That does not look original to me, should have lines across the dipstick not cutouts.

5l for an oil change seems about right though.

Steve

Thats what I always thought but the lines are further up if you look.

Haynes says 4.55L and I throw in all 5L and it goes just above the top notch.

I was wondering how much an oil rad and the pipes all the way from the spin on adapter (long filter) take off or is it irrelevant as much runs back ?

All I can say is I have this rocket oil pressure and engine doesnt complain.

Hi Tony

That does not look original to me, should have lines across the dipstick not cutouts.

5l for an oil change seems about right though.

Steve

Edited by Rem18

I also have an oil cooler, with thermostat, and find 5l is about right for an oil and filter change.

Am actually planning to remove the cooler to check for sludge deposits next service, its been on nearly 30 years!

Steve

Steve thats a good point regards radiator and now you have me thinking, you know I have the figure of 6.5L in my mind as the first fill, my guess is 1+L of oil is not leaving the system, as when you change the oil it gets brown pretty quickly, so that explains why 5L seems a bit light.

I will try to remember to remove the oil cooler and kit next time to flush the lot.

I have to say my oil out this time was actually 2 years old and it was pristine except for the colour.

Whats your oil pressure like after a change and on idle after a good run when its had a good few miles?

I also have an oil cooler, with thermostat, and find 5l is about right for an oil and filter change.

Am actually planning to remove the cooler to check for sludge deposits next service, its been on nearly 30 years!

Steve

I'd expect 2.8 - 4.2 KG/cm in real money - 40 - 60 psi running pressure when warm.

What is the oil pressure relief valve up to? How many extra washers have you had fitted?

The oil pressure relief valve is designed to limit oil pressure that is delivered by the pump.

Peter W

https://vintagetriumphregister.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/tr6-oil-canister.gif

Hi Peter

Please define runing.

Also are you referring to with oil cooler?

On a hot car with used oil I get 50psi at 850 rpm.

I dont think I ever changed the spring on this one to uprated and I wouldnt use washers.

Just getting 20% more on cold right now.

I think the oil just needs some life knocking out if it

Tony

Edited by Rem18

50psi at 850 is very high

So high in fact i dont believe it, and question the pressure gauge

These engines usually manage 20psi at idle when hot

50-60 above 2000 revs

So, check the guage and the prv, both easy

Steve

At idle, when the oil pressure is low (much lower than the oil pressure relieve valve setting), the valve is closed, so the oil gauge is most likely the cause (or you are blessed with a very high oil pressure).

The oil pressure gauge is connected downstream of the filter/cooler, so the extra resistance in that part of the system will not lead to a higher but to a lower reading.

Good luck,

Waldi

Edited by Waldi

As I said I think this initial high reading is mainly due to the fresh oil and new filter.

But certainly when I fitted the cooler 25 years ago I saw a very big difference. Also as with the cooler the system is now carrying about 6.5L and maybe that has an effect too.?

Wonder what is the real maximum permissible oil pressure.? But I dont think its a problem as even 7b is not going to cause a problem unless there is already an oil leak somewhere.

I can only say my TR5 lives in the alps and has regular hard driving as well as being an organizer and participant of the Hunnyball 50 alpine passes in 5 days jaunt.

What can I say? Maybe there is some restriction somewhere if not ?

Better high than low!!! ????????

It's oil FLOW which is important, as it's the flow of oil which both lubricates the moving parts and removes heat, dumping it into the sump to be cooled.

As long as oil pressure is reasonable (about 50 psi when running over 1800 rpm), there will be plenty of flow and no need to worry.

And very high oil pressure is not a good idea as seals can be damaged.

Ian Cornish