Insurance theft limitation clause

I'm also interested in whether it can just be disconnected.

If you have access to the car, you can access the engine bay and simply disconnect? or is there some sort of siren / alert that I can't see?

It comes with 2 remote controls. It immobilise's the car and if someone wanted to break into the car - open the bonnet and disconnect etc, then to start the car, then they would have to re-route the battery cable direct to the battery. So if you fit one of the new battery cable's in such a way that this becomes difficult and time consuming, then you have a deterrent. I don't think anything is bullet proof, but with this at least they have to 1st figure out why it won't start or get any life from the car. So it should deter the opportunist thief. The other benefit is an easy/lazy way to cut off all the power in case of fire or even when the car is laid up for a while.

best Bill

It comes with 2 remote controls. It immobilise's the car and if someone wanted to break into the car - open the bonnet and disconnect etc, then to start the car, then they would have to re-route the battery cable direct to the battery. So if you fit one of the new battery cable's in such a way that this becomes difficult and time consuming, then you have a deterrent. I don't think anything is bullet proof, but with this at least they have to 1st figure out why it won't start or get any life from the car. So it should deter the opportunist thief. The other benefit is an easy/lazy way to cut off all the power in case of fire or even when the car is laid up for a while.

best Bill

Makes sense and seems pretty effective to me/

Hi Bill/Graham,

Does it immobilise the car. I've read the gumph but can't see that in the blurb

Roger

Roger is basically a remote controlled version on one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durite-100-Amp-Battery-Isolator-Master-Switch-With-Removable-Flag-Key-0-605-00/230781614609?epid=1404441402&hash=item35bba7fa11:g:kuQAAOSwafZalAboyou have a key fob to operate it rather than have to turn the key. It also has some electronic gubbins that prevents operation and subsequent alternator damage if the car is running. So to answer your question yes.

Hi,

Anything that will deter the opportunist thief is a good thing, my concern would be a pair of standard jump leads could by-pass it, although I may be missing something.

This type of device, because it cuts the primary power source needs to be big and bulky and is therfore easier to spot and overcome although you would need large capacity wires (jump leads) to do so quickly.

Regards,

John

Hi,

Anything that will deter the opportunist thief is a good thing, my concern would be a pair of standard jump leads could by-pass it, although I may be missing something.

This type of device, because it cuts the primary power source needs to be big and bulky and is therfore easier to spot and overcome although you would need large capacity wires (jump leads) to do so quickly.

Regards,

John

Yes they could do that, but then I guess they would have the problem of driving it away with an outside battery still connected with jump leads or they would have to re-route the battery cable. It's just a deterrent. As Graham has mentioned above, it's simply a remote controlled cut off switch.

best Bill

There used to be a firm in Nottm who sold and fitted an in line valve into your brake lines which had a cylinder lock controlling the valve direction of flow.

Stand on you brakes and use a key to lock the direction of brake fluid flow ON (the valve unit was positioned alongside the driver at floor level). The brakes remained on and the car immovable, I suppose if they were desperate they could cut the brake lines !

Mick Richards

Hi Bruce

You asked if this has been put in writing? You should find it on the Key fact sheet.

(Section 2 Exclusions);

Loss or damage to your vehicle if it is fitted with door locks and has been left un-locked, it has been left with the keys in, on or in the vicinity of the vehicle, it is a convertible car with a power operated hood and it has been left with the hood down, it has permanently fitted widows and these or the sunroof have been left open or if reasonable precautions have not been taken to protect it.

Roy53 I manage to put my tonneaux over although I don't have a sidescreen vehicle.

Hi Bruce

You asked if this has been put in writing? You should find it on the Key fact sheet.

(Section 2 Exclusions);

Loss or damage to your vehicle if it is fitted with door locks and has been left un-locked, it has been left with the keys in, on or in the vicinity of the vehicle, it is a convertible car with a power operated hood and it has been left with the hood down, it has permanently fitted widows and these or the sunroof have been left open or if reasonable precautions have not been taken to protect it.

Roy53 I manage to put my tonneaux over although I don't have a sidescreen vehicle.

Thanks Derek!

Bruce.

My insurance co. would not budge on hood down etc, also discovered that my policy does not cover for personal injury after the age of 70 years?

97fm

Which insurance company would that be nameless poster ?

Mick Richards

Hi Bruce

(Section 2 Exclusions);

Hi Derek

Very helpful

Edited by Yorkie

Hi Mike

The Insurance co. in question is Adrian Flux.

97fm

Hello 97FM

So if I read this correctly, Adrian Flux, who run a scheme specifically for Triumph cars (https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/insurance/triumph/), apparently with the support of the TSSC, effectively do not offer full cover on convertible cars??

If this is the case, there are a lot of Triumph Stag, Spitfire, Vitesse, Herald, most TR owners who may (IMO should) not renew.

I see some long telephone conversations coming around renewal time.......

Good Evening All,

I've been lurking here for a while and following this thread with interest and thought I'd add my twopenn'orth! My experience with Adrian Flux is different from that of 97fm. I'm insured with KGM Classic through AF and sent the following message as a result of this thread - apologies, this is going to be quite long!

I have been following a discussion* on the TR Register forum regarding insurance cover requirements and the use the hood and would like some clarification regarding my policy!

*TR6 Forum - 'Insurance theft limitation clause', thread started 27 April 2018.

1) The following excerpts are from my policy and schedule documents:

Section 2 – Loss of or Damage to Your Vehicle

What is not covered under this section

Loss of or damage to your vehicle if it is unoccupied and any of the following applies: ...

iv. It has been left with the windows or sunroof open;

v. If reasonable precautions have not been taken to protect it.

PCG – Garaging
This insurance excludes Section 2 - Loss of or Damage to Your Vehicle unless your vehicle is kept in a securely locked garage (as defined in the Policy Document) between the hours of 10:00 PM and 6:00 AM. This restriction does not apply when you are in the course of a journey or are staying overnight in attendance with the vehicle away from your home address and/or declared
garaging address.

Q1) If the hood is not erected under the following conditions, is the insurance invalidated:

a) whilst paying for petrol, the keys removed, the doors are locked, windows up and the vehicle is in full view;

B) the vehicle is going to be left unattended for up to 30 minutes, but not overnight, the keys removed, the doors are locked, windows up, a Stoplock Pro is used and the battery is disconnected;

c) the vehicle is parked on the drive at the home address, but not overnight, the keys removed, the doors are locked, windows up, a Stoplock Pro is used and the battery is disconnected;

d) how would the use of a tonneau cover relate to the above exclusions?
Post #42, by the TRR Insurance Liaison officer, in the above mentioned TRR thread states 'The policy conditions under our TR Register scheme included putting your hood up when the vehicle was left unattended, however during a meeting with the KGM scheme underwriter this was amended. Unless you have a power hood on your TR this no longer applies.' Would this be applicable to my KGM policy?
2) XPS – Excluding Personal Belongings
It is agreed that Section 5 - Personal Belongings in the policy document is inoperative and does not apply to this insurance.
Q2) Does this also apply to personal belongings locked in the boot?
AF's response on the 15th of this month was...
We can advise that your vehicle is covered when the hood is down, provided that relevant security precautions have been taken. However, we note that when garaged overnight the hood would need to be up.
With regards to your personal belongings these would also be covered provided that they are stored in the locked boot.
So from that, it would appear that as long as you take 'reasonable precautions' to secure the vehicle, you don't need to put the hood up - as Derek H posted! I don't see how putting the hood up in the garage helps though!
Pete