Thermostat gasket

A word of caution about autojumble parts. Particularly check the thermostat actually works before parting with cash. Had a number of stats still in original box which do not work. Typically these can be real expensive if ebay is anything to go by.

At £4 you can afford to have a few frogs till you find a prince. The ones I have seen are mid £20s and up to £40 plus

Edited by Rodbr

Hi Dtype,

welcome to the forum. Have you got a name.

Regarding the gaskets. Assuming you have the later housing then you need a couple of item 20

Click on this link https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/cooling-system/water-pumps-fittings/water-pump-thermostat-fittings-tr2-4a.html

If you have the early housing then gaskets can be made up.

Change the housing for the later type.

Roger

PS - some people rave about the bellows thermostat. Get a simple modern stat - item 22 - they work OK.

Edited by RogerH

OK, don't worry about same here.

Does your car have the "twin housing" as in parts 1 and 2 rarer than hens teeth. If not you need one or two part 20 i.e gaskets one for the top and second for housing to head. Part no 115467x better to go for uprated material as there may be distortion or corrosion.

As for thermostat I suggest that you goes for GTS 104 mid range one.

Always clean the shank of the bolts to leave a slack fit and coat them with coppaslip to avoid nasty surprises and if you like coat mating surfaces as it aids removal if you need to change to another stat.

PM me if you want further insight

BR

Rod

Edited by Rodbr

PS - some people rave about the bellows thermostat. Get a simple modern stat - item 22 - they work OK.

Hi Roger,

could you imagine I am looking for a TR3 water pump housing? :)

Cheers Marco

Hi Roger,

thank you, but shipping such weight is very expensive.

I'm in contact with a club member closer to me, he will also look.

Shure you know about my experiment with my TR4A housing and a standard thermostat.

Do you want to bet how the experiment with the older TR2-3 housing will end?

Cheers Marco

Edited by Z320

If you use a modern waxstat, which has no shield, you will need to restrict the coolant flow through the bypass hose. This can be achieved by putting a lump of metal into the hose, with a small hole (about 1/8" diameter) through the middle to permit some flow. I use a brass fitting from some old piece of plumbing - must be large enough to ensure that it doesn't slip down the hose!

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc

I have seen the TR2-3 water pump housing outlets modified to restrict the water outlet from the bypass. Done simply by drilling a 1/8" hole axially through a sump plug. Tapping a thread in the bypass outlet spigot. Screw plug into hole and refit bypass hose. Modification can be reversed or bypass bleed hole size changed - for those who wish to try and find the optimum bypass bleed size.....

For me - 3/4" of a wine bottle cork with a 1/8" hole drilled lengthwise, then pushed into the bypass hose works a treat.

Peter W

If using a wine bottle cork (see Peter's post #15), I think it should be a modern plastic "cork", not real cork which might disintegrate over time.

Ian Cornish

An option over here, where inch-based stuff is still quite common, to use a 3/4 inch copper tube cap with a 3/8 inch hole drilled through its center as a restrictor inserted into the bypass hose. It permits a standard non-sleeved t-stat to be used.

I haven't done this mod, but I might at some point.

Here's what we can easily get in the US:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-4-in-Copper-Tube-Cap-C617/100344250

If using a wine bottle cork (see Peter's post #15), I think it should be a modern plastic "cork", not real cork which might disintegrate over time.

Ian Cornish

Does this mean I could send my radiator back for being 'corked'?

Peter W

I used a suitable sized coin with a hole drilled in it and kept in place by a second jubilee clip just downstream from the bypass outlet. I think it was a 10p piece.

Rgds Ian

Defacing a coin of the relm is a criminal offence :angry::P:P

Bob.