CSCC Swinging 60s Silverstone May 5th

Just got finals and entry list for this meeting, and Lo! I see John Holmes has entered with his GT6, so I might get a race this time in my Vitesse, when being lapped by 7 litres of Ford Galaxie got a bit boring last time..

Also Rob Roodhouse, Dave McDonald and Phillip Lamb in their TR6s, and Roy Chamberlain in his TR250, who we may not trouble, but a good Triumph turn out.

Qualy at 0930 for half an hour, then the forty minute race from 1330.

The race will be on the International circuit, based on the Wing, not the old National circuit.

The 'Paddock' will be the garages on the ground floor of the Wing.

All Triumpheros welcome!

JOhn

Good luck John. Unfortunately cannot be there to support, will be at Gaydon for a planning meeting re the London-Sydney 50 Show to be held there on Sunday 29th July.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Back from the Silverstone meeting on the International circuit.

Still in Gp2. and in the same garage this time as the other Triumphs .John Holmes had to withdraw his GT6 - his tow truck threw it's clutch, apparently. Long chat with his oppo David, and looking forward to meeting the man himself next time. Plus there were more straight sixes in the fuiled, an MG C, two Sabres and a Scimitar, but all more than 2.5L. Therace results if you ignored the Lotus Elans, proved that there ain't no substitute for cubic inches; except for a very fast Morgan at 3.5L the first six were all around 5L.

post-535-0-40767700-1525593070_thumb.jpg

Rob Roodhouse (144, front car) was straight from the rolling road, with 170bhp, which he seemed pleasantly surprised at. Dave McDonald (78) had a fine qualifying, but with a strange rattling noise. Turned out to be the starter that had stayed engaged, and must have been doing 18000rpm or so. It didn't survive, but Dave took it out before the race and with a valiant push from all available in the Pits, was able to come out for the race. I never got to chat with Philip Lamb (56) or Roy Chamberlain (53) - must circulate more! - but Philip and I had a fine race at the back of the grid.

Result of the Triumph race, in Gp.2 Swinging 60s:

1st Joe Henderson (and 2nd in class!)

2nd Rob Roodhouse

3rd David McDonald

4th John Davies }

5th Philip Lambe }(Our fastest laps were .26 second apart!)

No pics yet, as David Stallard, the 'official' CSCC photographer will still be at Silvertsone,where the meeting continues. Should be up early next week at https://www.davidstallardphotography.com/ClassicSportsCarClubCSCC/CSCC-2018

JOhn

Hi John,

It was good to see you on Saturday, a great day, and the weather was shining !

I believe Rob's engine produced 170bhp, pre rebuild, then once rebuilt, it went back for a power run on the same RR, when it produced 243bhp (flywheel).

Where are you out next ?

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by TRTOM2498PI

Frankly, I think 243bhp is wishful thinking or a poorly calibrated dyno.

My wish too!

Good to meet you again, Tom!

John

John,

Can assure you it's not a poorly calibrated dyno :) Nor wishful thinking for that matter...

Tom

Hi John,

It was good to see you on Saturday, a great day, and the weather was shining !

I believe Rob's engine produced 170bhp, pre rebuild, then once rebuilt, it went back for a power run on the same RR, when it produced 243bhp (flywheel).

Where are you out next ?

Cheers,

Tom

How much BHP !!!!!! Is that from a TR6 ??

Wow

Tom Boyd,

If you were involved with the test, no offence! But 243bhp?? And still Joe Henderson lapped him!

It was straight from the dyno, maybe he was holding back!

I suppose that's only 88bhp/litre. Moderns can get a lot more than that.

JOhn

Awaay from controversy, lets see the pretty pictures.

Stallard's pics at: https://www.davidstallardphotography.com/ClassicSportsCarClubCSCC/CSCC-2018/CSCC-Silverstone-05-May-18/i-XcnCq7din blocks 7-12 and 34-38.

John

Tom Boyd,

If you were involved with the test, no offence! But 243bhp?? And still Joe Henderson lapped him!

It was straight from the dyno,

JOhn

What John you think that Joe has less ????