Basic steering settings

Folks,

Time is getting near to finally re-register my 6 but before I do, I need to get some new tyres and the suspension setup correctly.

post-8372-0-87165500-1524648564_thumb.jpg

My local tyre place previously setup my 6 so I'm happy they understand the concept of shims (on the front) and I have adjustable TA brackets but..to get the car to them I need to at least get the front wheels pointing in roughly the same direction.

I know it's not very scientific and allowing for different track rod ends but does anyone have a measurement of thread showing on the drivers and passengers track rods to get me in the ballpark?

I'll use a string line from there so at least it can move the 2ks to the suspension place (and a temp movement permit) to get it all setup properly.

Anyone have that info to hand or would be kind enough to measure for me?

Thanks

Andrew

Edited by AndrewP

Hi Andrew, that might prove impossible. On mine, at least one has been replaced with an after-market item, and the lengths of the female barrels are different. Someone far more knowledgable than me might be able to help, though.

Good luck.

Austin

Andrew,

I tend to agree with Austin. In the last few weeks I have stripped, cleaned and painted my steering rack and renewed the rubber etc. The track rod end on the LHS was on 23.5 full turns and the RHS was at 17.5 turns. No idea why but I guess it all links with alignment of the chassis, number of shims behind the wishbones etc so no two are likely to be the same.

Disconnect the track rod ends.

Measure the steering from lock to lock and get it in the centre.

Run a straight edge between the front and rear wheel each side.

Adjust the track rods to suit. And refit.

That’ll give you a ‘ball park’ setting good enough to get to the tyre bay.

Pretty much as above.

Run a stringline down each side at wheel centre height. Make sure they are parallel.

Measure from the wheel rim to the string line at points 180 deg apart in line with the string and give yourself 2mm toe in each side.

Surprisingly accurate, certainly good enough.

Jerry