4A lower wishbone arm/bushings moved

Before the engine goes back in the 4A I have been checking over odds and sods "while in there", and I notice that all the lower wishbone arms on both sides have moved towards the rear. What could be the reason for this?

They were new stock items about 5000 Km and many years ago. I would now like to replace with blue Superpro, but want to be sure nothing is amiss first

post-11018-0-08974800-1524621991_thumb.jpg post-11018-0-09341100-1524621992_thumb.jpg

Alf

Hi Alf,

I would suggest that there is nothing amiss, just cr*p rubber components. Replace with Superpro and the car will be transformed.

Cheers

Graeme

Hi Alf,

very possibly as Graeme suggests; but when you remove them do it carefully and see if the rear shoulder has been cut down to aid easier fitment.

I can't see how the wishbone would ride over a normal shoulder.

Roger

I know it’s not a massive amount of movement, but by having the lower wishbones moved over by even a small amount, wouldn’t that make a difference to the caster angle of the vertical link?

Or am I seeing complications where there aren’t any?

Yes, but as Roger says just fit the updated bushes, the wishbones will self align, whatever is wrong will become right and you should then have better self centrring steering.

Mick Richards

Thanks all - just great to have this wealth of experience at one's fingertips.

OK if not critical then it can wait until the fall - the priority of course is to get her up running for the summer (drive done and on bench for test run in two weeks). Radiator being re-cored and driveshaft checked over.

Alf

I agree with Roger. When the rubber bushing is inserted, it should come out on the other end and expand, with a shoulder being formed. Such shoulder is tall enough to prevent it going inside the arm again. Could it be that, when they installed them, they did not push them in all the way?. I think it shouldn't be an issue as long as the arm is not touching the U bracket and both arms are displaced in the same direction

...I mean, even if you have used the rubber bushings sold by Moss and others, which don,t have a shoulder, the protrusion at the outer end should prevent the A arm to move