Bonnet release cable

Had a good run out in the red TR yesterday, 250 miles in total, the car preformed faultlessly and got better after each mile. On putting the car away in the evening I went to release the bonnet to isolate the battery, all that happened was the bonnet release catch came off in my hand!

After a sphincter tightening moment I realised the car was fitted with an emergency release catch under the dash. (if you dont have one please fit one for peace of mind). The bonnet popped open with a reassuring clunk as it released.

My question is what is the best type of cable replacement to fit and who is the best supplier, the one on the car at the moment looks like a universal one size fits all as about a metre of cable snakes around the engine bay.

Any recommendations advice is welcome. I dont want to tempt fate by closing the bonnet and relying only on the emergency release.

• 4 weeks later...

Many years ago ( circa 1995) my bonnet got stuck and after hours of trying to figure out how to get in I spoke with Neil Revington, his work around was

1. dismantle the heater hoses from inside the car to reveal the back end of the plate on the bulk head where you should see the sharp end of two stainless screws

2. With a pair of long nose pliers reverse unscrew the screws as far as you can and then push them out of the plate (they will fall into the engine bay) and then push the plate away

3. with a long bladed screw drive and a bit of trial and error you can then push the release mechanism of the bonnet release open

4. now that you have access once more to the engine bay, tie a length of strong cord (para cored is good) to the release arm (use a bowline knot its will never come undone) and pass the tail back into the cabin by the bonnet release grommet.

You now have an emergency release. Well it works for me