Block drain tap

Managed to get everything together and start her up after all the improvements after a long Winter. Sounds great and runs nicely, but discovered a small drip from the block drain tap. Really annoying as it is impossible to get to :-( without taking off the intake and exhaust manifold.

Any ideas? It's dripping from the bottom of the tap.

You could try ignoring it for a month if it isn't a deluge, they will normally fur up and seal themselves, I presume you don't want to put any sealing additive into it.. Then if not remove all manifolds to replace or refurbish as last resort.

Mick Richards

Hi Andrew,

you are not trying hard enough :P .

The tap is accessible. No point in changing it as they are all iffy.

As above you can leave alone for a couple of weeks and it will fur up.

Otherwise you can attach a length of PVC hose to catch the drips and empty every now and then.

It will fur up.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

I changed mine the other day.... it is a bit awkward to get to, but is doable with the carbs/inlet manifold in place - 3/4” open-ended did the trick for me, full length to loosen it, then a stubby

..... Andy

Get a short length of hardwood dowelling, shape a taper on one end so that it fits into the tap's outlet, then tap it home.

If you remove the tap, then, using very fine grinding paste, you can lap the moving parts together to achieve a tight fit.

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc

Andrew, I have just renewed the brass drain tap on my 4a and took it off several times (easy without removing anything) as it was dripping.

Spoke to Rob at TRGB he told me they all drip at first turn it on and off up to 12 times it will bed in and stop dripping.

Did this been fine since

Regards Lee

• 2 weeks later...