Mystery 'thing' behind dash

Hi

I tested everything and cannot figure what this is, but assume its an after fit. Wires look like purple/orange and a black. Looking at diagram maybe something to do with hazards?

Rich

post-14945-0-95763700-1524473509_thumb.jpg

Two wires that look Purple/Red, or orange, or brown, and a black earth wire.

One of these? (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jensenmondayclub/Technical-Electrical/Lucas%20Colour%20Codes/lucascolourcodes.htm)

John

Purple

Accessories fed direct from battery via fuse

Purple

Brown

Horn fuse to horn relay when horn is fused separately

Purple

Orange

Aerial lift motor to switch down

Purple

Pink

Rear heated window to switch or relay

Purple

Red

Switches to map light, under bonnet light, glove box light and boot lamp when fed direct from battery fuse

Edited by john.r.davies

How about a warner, When you leave the key in the lock and open the doors. My 1971 USA has this fitted. In the 70s the Americans had the habit of leaving the key in the ignition. Result many stolen cars. It is under the dash near to the ignition key. The main reason why it does not work is the double contact door switch driver side has broken. There are no replacements that work, so most people has disabled this function?

Thanks for chart john! This bits interesting:

Purple

Pink

Rear heated window to switch or relay

Purple

Red

Switches to map light, under bonnet light, glove box light and boot lamp when fed direct from battery fuse

I did unplug it and all seems to still work. No markings on it either. That's why I called post mystery thing!

Rich

Edited by AarhusTr6

Bingo!

Well done Peter!

See: http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf Third diagram down, 70-71 TR6 (and later) "Ignition Key Warning Circuit" two purple/orange wires and a Black/green one.

If your black wire has a green trace, the clinches it!

JOhn

I see green in the pic (mind you, I'm looking at it from a really long way away...)

• 3 months later...

Hello Rich,

For your information and if it is helping to confirm the info from Rich, on a Stag from the US, I have the same part with the same wirings and colors set and this is for the Ignition Key Warning Circuit

Best regards