Smell complaint

Haha

I have been around Triumph PI since age of 9 when my dad drove directly to pick up his 6 in 1970 which we still have. So you can guess my age.

By the age of 14 I already started stripping the PI because no mechanics understood it.

I also own a 5 for 25 years.

Well....

I cant remember a day when I didnt come home after a run where my clothes havent smelt of petrol or petrol exhaust..

The whine of the pump and the smell of petrol for me is just a strong a memory as a cooked Sunday breakfast....

Just come back from leading our run today and the car behind commented about the exhaust fumes. The car runs well if slightly rich at slow (30mph) speeds. I have noticed this following other 5 and 6s. Is there a known problem with the 6 cylinder engines?

Edited by Rem18

Just come back from leading our run today and the car behind commented about the exhaust fumes. The car runs well if slightly rich at slow (30mph) speeds. I have noticed this following other 5 and 6s. Is there a known problem with the 6 cylinder engines?

Hi Richard,

the PI system needs to run a little (or a lot) rich to compensate for having no accelerator pump.

When you boot the throttle the rich mixture helps it pick up quickly. A conventional correct mixture would cause the pick-up to stall/hesitate.

The same engine with SUs or Webers would not smell and have a good mixture.

Roger

Hi Richard,

the PI system needs to run a little (or a lot) rich to compensate for having no accelerator pump.

When you boot the throttle the rich mixture helps it pick up quickly. A conventional correct mixture would cause the pick-up to stall/hesitate.

The same engine with SUs or Webers would not smell and have a good mixture.

Roger

My TR6 had a horrible petrol fume problem. I would typically have to shower and change clothes after a long run- at the time I put this down to part of the Triumph experience.

The fumes went away when I had the PI system properly set up and calibrated.

If black smoke comes out when the choke is fully pushed in, when accelerating hard it is often a sign that the M/U is worn and s/b re-built! I am on my 3rd m/u from new after 45 years of ownership.

Bruce.

I suffered for a long time with the smell of exhaust fumes and tried absolutely every hint and tip offered systematically making amends - in the end I noticed a leak from the manifold to head gasket (accidently sprayed WD40 on the Injector manifold)- changed it and have never had a problem since - just a thought as it only really developed and got noticeable when hot...

Richard,

Check the exhaust bracket adjacent to the gearbox - the bracket is welded to the exhaust tubes and has a habit of fracturing/breaking away from the tube allowing fumes into the car from the gearbox tunnel. https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/intermediate-pipe-front-rh-fsth76s.html

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Another possibility:

The boot lid panel rubber seal-ends should be towards the fuel filler cap, rather than back at the rear panel.

The seal rubber shrinks as it ages, and will leave a separation gap that exhaust fumes can easily penetrate.

If necessary the gap can be covered with duct tape.

Do check your spark plug tips for a clean, or otherwise, burn.

Edited by Sapphire72

That's why the back panel is painted black!

Don't fit a sports exhaust..thats why the standard exhaust exits at the side..make sure its long enough

Or do what i did and sold the 6 and bought a 3!

Also if you dont use proper hoses that do not permuate fuel, you are never going to be able to keep your sandwiches in the boot.....

+1

Also if you dont use proper hoses that do not permuate fuel, you are never going to be able to keep your sandwiches in the boot.....

I upgraded my hoses at the same time the MU was rebuilt and recalibrated. When this was done the smell that had plagued me for 20 odd years ceased.

I can't really tell if it was the new hoses or the new, generally leaner, fuelling curve.