Metal cockpit cover

I've just finished my project that I been working on for the last 2 months, and now I can change my avatar picture from the Macau TR to my own!

Here's a couple of photos of it, maybe some might be interested.

post-10815-0-95366200-1524386392_thumb.jpg

post-10815-0-77585000-1524386425_thumb.jpg

Edited by setron

Nice one! Just curious, is it made out of aluminium, and if so how thick, 1 mm? Is there any reinforcement underneath, because I guess you have to lean on cover entering and getting out of the car? Are there latches of some type underneath to hold it in place, or is it simply screwed down?

Edited by ijonsson

Looks great, make sure you are restrained when driving, that hard edge will mess up your neck or head if it gets thrown against it.

Mick Richards

Looks great, make sure you are restrained when driving, that hard edge will mess up your neck or head if it gets thrown against it.

Mick Richards

Glenn made a nice period correct solution for this issue on MVC 575. Took this picture on the Jabbeke reunion after its restoration last year:

NFcuLXpHJGUozY10tAoEnrOsSuATrOiSqpmMQk01

its clamped on the edge with a little hole in the cover to mount on the lower end of the headrest

Edited by EdwinTiben

Looks great?. Very unsafe in an accident. Not something to loose your head over !!!!

"Looks great, make sure you are restrained when driving, that hard edge will mess up your neck or head if it gets thrown against it."

I thought the post said it all whilst still applauding a nice touch in a positive manner.

Mick Richards

Looks terrific, setron! I've had some backchannel discussions about Speed models in NZ with one of our forum correspondents. Nice to see one in pix.

I made it from 1.2mm sheet metal and just have a reinforce rod going side to side behind driver. unfortunately it won't be on too long, my kids hate it! Hopping in is easy but I use the aero screens to hold on to,to get out.

This is not the speed model, that's work in progress.

Cheers Shane

Ah -- got it. Thx, Shane. There will be a TON of interest on here if you were to start a thread on the SP model.