22D Distributor question

Putting my TR6 back on injection from SU's I noticed the distributor has the vac. advance facing rearward and the adjuster toward the front of the car, all my other TR6;s were the other way round. I have checked the part number stamped on the side and it is listed as TR6 injection among the Lucas part number lists. It cannot be turned as the tacho drive is facing the correct way.

I have an original workshop supplement manual and there is a photograph showing the same as above, does anyone know if it changed? the only issue appears getting to number 5 plug as the dizzy body makes it tighter.

On another note the pedestal gear was a pig to seat down , I wondered why I was getting a 1/4 inch gap between the block and the pedestal casting, began to think something is wrong then it suddenly went home!, I assume it was the gears meshing causing the problem.

Rob

Can't help on the serial numbers but the PI dizzy has no vacumn advance so although the little hat thing is present. It, the hat, should point toward front of car. It may be that you haven't aligned the rotor arm pointing to no.1 cylinder and the metering unit feed to no.1 so the are synchronised. The procedure is in the brown book. This probably why your plug leads don't seem to be in correct orientation. Hope that helps.

I have set up the pedestal as per the pictures in the manual the drive for the metering unit is vertical and the dizzy drive is angled as per manual. But I did notice that it says in the brown manual to use a drift to drive it in place which I did not use hence perhaps my problem as it did not state that in the original workshop supplement I used, should have paid more attention.

The plug leads are in the correct position with number 1 about 7 o-clock, but looking since at photographs of a previous TR the tacho drive is at an angle to the vacuum advance which did point to the front. But as I said before there is a photograph in this Triumph workshop supplement showing a design identical to mine. I think the latter is very early. There is also an etched Dist. Doc on the casting so It has been at the distributor doctor at some stage.

Rob

That's a vacuum retard module you are describing if it's on that side of the distributor, not an advance module.

And, if the module is not pinned into place, you can adjust the timing with the thumb wheel within it's range of adjustment...but the main point is that it's a retard module so don't hook it up to the same vacuum source you would if it were an advance (if at all)..or the results will be counterproductive.

Thanks guys for the input. I have no intention of using the vacuum it was just a question of the distributor body being different to the majority although the part number is correct looking at the Lucas numbers on line, as long as it starts and runs that is the main thing.

Rob

Rob,

When I bought my TR, I found that the engine had been changed in the past from a CR to a CP and it ran very roughly. I found, after a lot of head scratching, that the distributor had the advance weights for a CR, even though the correct part number was stamped on the body.

The Distributor Doctor put in the correct weights for me, which improved the pick-up no end.

May be worth a check? If you think it’s worthwhile, I may be able to find what change I had to make, but DD would help you to ensure you have the correct weights, I’m sure (the degrees of centrifugal advance are stamped on the weights).

John

John interesting point as this car a 1972 used to have a Triumph 2000 engine but was changed for an early CP by a previous owner, as I said before the distributor doctor has had this distributor and it looks very good condition perhaps the 2000 body had the casting as per my dizzy? it is on electronic ignition so when back on the road I will see how it runs, thanks.

Rob