Oil Filter Head ID

Can anybody please confirm whether the Oil Filter Head on my 1959 3A is a Puralator or Tecalamit.

As can be seen in the images there is not a name as suggested in the Moss catalogue, just a number.

I am not certain from the drawings in the Moss catalogue either.

Hope you can help.

Many thanks,

Timpost-14286-0-11834900-1524313041_thumb.jpgpost-14286-0-22303800-1524313050_thumb.jpg

... and one more question please -

The Puralator unit seems to require a spring on the main bolt but the Tecalamit doesn't.

If the canister is the same for both options and the filter is the same for both, then why is a spring needed?

Is the Puralator head deeper?

Thanks again,

Tim

This is what a Purolator looks loke:

post-12009-0-36083400-1524323042_thumb.jpg

I think yours is an early TR2 one, which you really should change for the later type (P or T)

The spring is required to press the filter up against the inner flange of the filter head.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Can anybody please confirm whether the Oil Filter Head on my 1959 3A is a Puralator or Tecalamit.

As can be seen in the images there is not a name as suggested in the Moss catalogue, just a number.

I am not certain from the drawings in the Moss catalogue either.

Hope you can help.

Many thanks,

Timattachicon.gifIMG_2350s.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2348s.JPG

The drawings of oil filter heads in the Moss catalogue are spot on. Drawn from original samples.

The item you have is the Tecalamit type fitted to TR4A. It is not a TR2 bypass type.

Error in the Moss web catalogue text. - A spring is required on both types of filter canister bolt. - you need 502484 for the Tecalamit unit - It is there to push the element up against the filter head to seal it in place. - No spring - not a lot of filtering.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Bob - thanks for your answer, are you agreeing with Viv in saying that mine is

Tecalemit?

Having read a little more (Bill Piggotts book) it seems that the first cars were fitted with Puralator bypass type, followed by Puralator full flow and later on Tecalemit.

Tecalemit would therefore appear to be the correct head for this car?

What I now don't understand is why one needs a spring and the other doesn't bearing in mind the filter element is the same (GFE104) for both but they do have different seals.

Thanks

Tim

Peter,

That is the answer that I was hoping would appear from somebody!

However 502484 isn't recognised on the Moss website.

Is it a conical shaped spring similar in shape to those behind 5 and 6 interior door handles?

Many thanks,

Tim

Just for the record, while I’m sure that some of the parts of the different Purolator heads are interchangeable, for some reason the long bolt that goes from the bottom of the can into the head is different.

I think they are the same size, but one has a UNF thread on the end and the other has a UNC thread.

Easy to mess up the head if you try too hard to use the wrong bolt.

Charlie.

Tim, Tecalemit isn't original for a TR3A engine as they weren't fitted until early 1965. Changeover began with the TR4A (along with closed engine breathing) when USA supplier Purolator was replaced by UK supplier Tecalemit.

TR3A engines were fitted with Purolator full-flow oil filter assemblies part 203271.

Tecalemit is easily identified by the hex head.fitting embedded in the centre of the filter head. This embedded fitting, being hollow with female thread to accept the long cannister bolt, was an advance in that it was easily replaceable if cross threaded.

Viv